Professional Head: Occupational Therapy
Paediatric Occupational Therapy, especially in the areas of:
- Sensory Integration Theory and Intervention
- Neuro-developmental Therapy
- Developmental Coordination Disorder
- Collaborative work between Health and Education Sectors
- BSc Hons (OT) from University of Cape Town, South Africa. 1982
- MSc (OT) from Cardiff University. Teacher's perceptions of their role in helping children with coordination problems in a Welsh Valley: A knowledge base for paediatric occupational therapists.
I have worked in the clinical field for a period of 20 years as an occupational therapist in a range of settings including: specialist schools for children with cerebral palsy and specific learning difficulties, and institute for the learning disabled, general physical hospitals, and community paediatrics. This experience spanned three countries: South Africa, England and Wales. In addition I have worked and offer consultation in the private sector as a paediatric occupational therapist. In my final years in clinical work I managed a community paediatric occupational therapy department with 14 staff.
I joined Cardiff University as an Occupational Therapy lecturer in 2002 and continue to teach on the undergraduate BSc Hons (OT) programme as well as sessions on the PGDip (OT) and the MSc Neurorehabilitation programmes. In the past I have taught as a sessional lecturer at the University of Cape Town (South Africa) and was a recognised teacher of the University of Liverpool. I am currently a recognised teacher of the Ulster University.
- Director of sensory integration network (UK & Ireland), since 2001
- Member of College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section: Children, Young People and their Families, since 1992
- Member of Handwriting Interest Group, since 1993
- Member of British Association of Bobath Trained Therapists, since 1997
- Book reviewer for British Journal of Occupational Therapy
PublicationsWe are currently unable to retrieve the list of publications. Visit our institutional repository.
I am interested in Paediatric occupational therapy, particularly in the area of children with developmental coordination disorder and sensory integration difficulties. My MSc dissertation was an exploratory study of the role of teachers in assisting children with co-ordination problems in a Welsh Valley.
I am currently a member of the Sensory Integration Network (UK and Ireland) with the research portfolio, promoting research into the effectiveness of sensory integration. I sit on the review panel of the SI Network grant awards.
Delport, S.M. An exploratory study of the role of teachers in assisting children with coordination problems in a Welsh Valley. Chief Medical Officer's Research grant £8000. 2006/2007
Delport, S.M. measuring the effectiveness of sensory integration - a single case study design. £500 bursary from SI Network (UK&Ireland) 2001.
Delport, S.M., Emmett, L. The role of Occupational Therapist in Special Care baby Units. Kwei Chin Bursary £800. 2000.