Director of Informatics Projects
I am Director of Informatics Projects in the School of Computer Science and Informatics, where my role is to direct new research activity. My interests span applications of computing to problems in environmental informatics, including engineering of large-scale distributed computing systems (e-Infrastructures) for data management and processing, virtual research environments and socio-technical issues of new technology adoption.
- 2010 - present: Director of Informatics Projects, Cardiff School of Computer Science and Informatics
- 2002 - 2009: Grid Centre Manager, Welsh e-Science Centre, Cardiff University
- 2001 - 2002: Director of Product Management, Ubiquity Software Corporation
- 1991 - 2001: Senior Consulting Partner, PQM Consultants
- 1981 - 1991: Principal Software Engineer, Systems Design Manager, Mitel Telecom
- 1978 - 1981: Computer Programmer, Team Leader, Ferranti Computer Systems
Education and qualifications
- 1978: BSc Physical Geography, University College of Wales, Aberystwyth
- Chartered Information Systems Professional (CITP)
- Fellow of the British Computer Society (FBCS)
- Member of the Chartered Management Institute (MCMI)
- 2014: (Key note) EXPEER International Conference on Experimentation in Ecosystem Research, Paris, September 2014. Talking about the role that accessible data and informatics plays in the grand challenge of predicting the biosphere.
- 2013: (Co-chair/co-organiser/speaker) Biodiversity Informatics Horizons 2013, Rome, September 2013.
- 2011: (Panel member) XLDB Europe 2011. Debate on What does Research Infrastructure really need for data?
- 2010: (Key note) EGI Technical Forum, Amsterdam, September 2010 on the topic of “LifeWatch – An e-Science infrastructure for biodiversity research”.
Committees and reviewing
External committees and advisory roles
- 2017 - present: Member, Science Board, European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) Pilot Project, April 2017 - present.
- 2015 - present: Member (external informatics advisor), NERC Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH) Science Development Group, August 2015 – present.
- 2014: Chair of the Periodic Evaluation and Review Panel on behalf of the EC for the FP 7 EU BON project, September 2014.
- 2012 - 2015: Invited membership of external advisory panels of EC FP7 projects (MicroB3, agINFRA, EU BON).
- 2010 - 2011: Member, JISC Committee for the Support of Research (JSR), Jan 2010 - May 2011.
- 2010: Member, EPSRC Software Sustainability Insitute assessment and interview panel, February 2010.
- 2007 - 2009: Chair of the Steering Committee for the Community Engagement and Support strand of the JISC e-Infrastructure programme.