Dr Haedong Park
I am a research associate in the School of Physics and Astronomy in Cardiff University. My research expertise is in the simulations of topological photonic crystals, elastic waves, and metamaterials.
I studied Materials Science and Engineering (first major) and Physics (second major) at Seoul National University from 2003 and earned my bachelor's degrees in 2007. I then received a PhD degree in Materials Science and Engineering in 2014 from Seoul National University.
After graduation, I worked as a postdoctoral researcher of the Center of Computational Science at the Korea Institute of Science and Technology in Korea until 2018, and as a research professor of the KU-KIST Graduate School of Converging Science and Technology at Korea University in Korea until 2020. I joined the School of Physics and Astronomy at Cardiff University in 2020 as a research associate.
- Sep 2020 - present: Research Associate, School of Physics and Astronomy, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK (Supervisor: Sang Soon Oh)
- Nov 2018 - Aug 2020: Research Professor, KU-KIST Graduate School of Converging Science and Technology, Korea University, Seoul, Korea (Supervisor: Seungwoo Lee)
- Nov 2014 - Oct 2018: Postdoctoral Researcher, Center of Computational Science, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, Seoul, Korea (Supervisor: Myoung-Woon Moon, Kahyun Hur)
- Sep 2014 - Oct 2014: Postdoctoral Researcher, Research Institute of Advanced Materials, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Mar 2010 - Aug 2010: Researcher of Joint Research Activity, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK (Supervisor: Philip Harrison, Zaoyang Guo)
- Mar 2007 - Aug 2014: Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea (Supervisor: Woong-Ryeol Yu)
- Mar 2003 - Feb 2007: B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Mar 2003 - Feb 2007: B.S. in Physics, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
My research interests are topological photonics and mechanical metamaterials. The topological photonics include Weyl photonic crystals and nonreciprocal photonics based on the analyses of topological properties of electromagnetic waves. And the mechanical metamaterials cover simulation of elastic waves and design of active materials based on the continuum mechanics.
Publications (†: equally contributed)
1. Haedong Park, Stephan Wong, Adrien Bouhon, Robert-Jan Slager, Sang Soon Oh, ‘Phase transitions of non-Abelian charged nodal links in a spring-mass system’, Submitted https://arxiv.org/abs/2204.00351.
2. Sung Hun Park, Haedong Park†, Jwa-Min Nam, Yonggang Ke, Tim Liedl, Ye Tian, and Seungwoo Lee†, ‘DNA origami-designed 3D phononic crystals’, Submitted.
3. Haedong Park, Sang Soon Oh, ‘Sign freedom of non-abelian topological charges in phononic and photonic topological semimetals’, New Journal of Physics 24, 053042; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/ac6ca3 (2022).
4. Haedong Park, Wenlong Gao, Xiao Zhang and Sang Soon Oh, ‘Nodal lines in momentum space: topological invariants and recent realizations in photonic and other systems’, Nanophotonics 11, 2779-2801; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/nanoph-2021-0692 (2022).
5. Haedong Park†, Seungyun Jo†, Byungsoo Kang†, Kahyun Hur, Sang Soon Oh, Du Yeol Ryu, and Seungwoo Lee, ‘Block copolymer gyroids for nanophotonics: significance of lattice transformation’, Nanophotonics 11, 2583-2615; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/nanoph-2021-0644 (2022).
6. Haedong Park, Stephan Wong, Xiao Zhang and Sang Soon Oh, ‘Non-Abelian charged nodal links in a dielectric photonic crystal’, ACS Photonics 8, 2746-2754; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsphotonics.1c00876 (2021).
7. Yongjun Lim†, Haedong Park†, Byungsoo Kang†, Kwangjin Kim†, Daegyum Yang†, and Seungwoo Lee, ‘Holography, Fourier optics, and beyond photonic crystals: Holographic fabrications for Weyl points, bound states in the continuum, and exceptional points’, Advanced Photonics Research 2, 2100061; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/adpr.202100061 (2021).
8. Seungyun Jo†, Haedong Park†, Taesuk Jun, Kwangjin Kim, Hyunsoo Jung, Sungmin Park, Byeongdu Lee, Seungwoo Lee, Du Yeol Ryu, ‘Symmetry-breaking in double gyroid block copolymer films by non-affine distortion’, Applied Materials Today 23, 101006; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmt.2021.101006 (2021).
9. Jinsu Kim, Seung-Yeol Jeon, Seokbin Hong, Yongsan An, Haedong Park, Woong-Ryeol Yu, ‘Three-dimensional constitutive model for shape-memory polymers considering temperature-rate dependent behavior’, Smart Materials and Structures 30, 035030; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/abe1d0 (2021).
10. Pengfei Wang, Ji-Hyeok Huh, Haedong Park, Donglei Yang, Yingwei Zhang, Yunlong Zhang, Jaewon Lee, Seungwoo Lee, Yonggang Ke, ‘DNA Origami Guided Self-Assembly of Plasmonic Polymers with Robust Long-Range Plasmonic Resonance’, Nano Letters 20, 8926-8932; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c04055 (2020).
11. Haedong Park, Seungwoo Lee, ‘Double Gyroids for Frequency-Isolated Weyl Points in the Visible Regime and Interference Lithographic Design’, ACS Photonics 7, 1577-1585; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsphotonics.0c00532 (2020).
12. Joong Hoon Lee, Hanseop Kim, Ji-Young Hwang, Jinmook Chung, Tae-Min Jang, Dong Gyu Seo, Yuyan Gao, Junhyun Lee, Haedong Park, Seungwoo Lee, Hong Chul Moon, Huanyu Cheng, Sang-Hoon Lee, Suk-Won Hwang, ‘3D Printed, Customizable, and Multifunctional Smart Electronic Eyeglasses for Wearable Healthcare Systems and Human–Machine Interfaces’, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 12, 21424-21432; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.0c03110 (2020).
13. Sung Hun Park†, Haedong Park†, Kahyun Hur, Seungwoo Lee, ‘Design of DNA Origami Diamond Photonic Crystals’, ACS Applied Bio Materials 3, 747-756; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1021/acsabm.9b01171 (2020).
14. Hyun-Hee Lee, Yong-Woo Kim, Jaesung Woo, Haedong Park, Kahyun Hur, Zhigang Suo, Jeong-Yun Sun, ‘Fast healing of ionic bonds in tough hydrogels under an acoustic excitation’, Extreme Mechanics Letters 33, 100572; DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eml.2019.100572 (2019).
15. Min‐Seok Kim†, Haedong Park†, Sung Ok Won, Aditya Sharma, Jimin Kong, Hyun S Park, Yun‐Mo Sung, Tae Joon Park, Myoung‐Woon Moon, Kahyun Hur, ‘Copper‐Halide Polymer Nanowires as Versatile Supports for Single‐Atom Catalysts’, Small, 1903197; DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smll.201903197 (2019).
16. Kwangjin Kim†, Haedong Park†, Kyung Jin Park, Sung Hun Park, Hyeon Ho Kim, Seungwoo Lee, ‘Light‐Directed Soft Mass Migration for Micro/Nanophotonics’, Advanced Optical Materials, 1900074; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adom.201900074 (2019).
17. Kyoung-Ran Kim, Seong Jae Kang, A-Young Lee, Dohyeon Hwang, Miri Park, Haedong Park, Sanghee Kim, Kahyun Hur, Hak Suk Chung, Chengde Mao, Dae-Ro Ahn, ‘Highly tumor-specific DNA nanostructures discovered by in vivo screening of a nucleic acid cage library and their applications in tumor-targeted drug delivery’, Biomaterials 195, 1-2; DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2018.12.026 (2019).
18. Seok Bin Hong, Joon Hyeok Jang, Haedong Park, Jin-Gyun Kim, Nam Seo Goo, Woong-Ryeol Yu, ‘Three-dimensional constitutive model of woven fabric-reinforced shape memory polymer composites considering thermal residual stress’, Smart Materials and Structures 28, 035023; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1361-665X/aafd3a (2019).
19. Haedong Park, Hyungho Kwon, Yongsan An, Woong-Ryeol Yu, Myoung-Woon Moon, Kahyun Hur, ‘Mechanical Metamaterials with Thermoresponsive Switching Between Positive and Negative Poisson’s Ratios’, physica status solidi - Rapid Research Letters 12, 1800040; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pssr.201800040 (2018).
20. Haedong Park, Philip Harrison, Zaoyang Guo, Myoung-Gyu Lee, Woong-Ryeol Yu, ‘Three-dimensional constitutive model for shape memory polymers using multiplicative decomposition of the deformation gradient and shape memory strains’, Mechanics of Materials 93, 43-62; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmat.2015.10.014 (2016).
21. Byoung-Sun Lee, Seung-Yeol Jeon, Haedong Park, Geunsung Lee, Hosung Yang, Woong-Ryeol Yu, ‘New Electrospinning Nozzle to Reduce Jet Instability and Its Application to Manufacture of Multi-layered Nanofibers’. Scientific Reports 4, 6758; DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep06758 (2014).