Geoscience High End Computing Research Development Officer
My role is to support and enable scientific research in the School through the medium of High End Computing. This comprises:
- Computer programming, primarily in Python, C, C++, Fortran and Java, including parallel programming using OpenMP and MPI, and graphics programming using OpenGL.
- Training staff and PhD students in computer programming and good programming practice.
- Responsible for School Linux servers used for storage, processing, visualisation, databases and web servers.
- Responsible for School stereoscopic visualisation system.
- Linux support.
- Advice on using existing computational facilities and purchase of new computational equipment.
- Networking with ARCCA and other Cardiff University Schools.
- 1994 - 1997: PhD in Ocean Physics (Computational Fluid Dynamics) at Southampton University, UK.
- 1997 - 1998: Software Engineer at Hewlett-Packard, Bristol, UK.
- 1998 - 2000: Senior Software Engineer at Cogent Defence Systems, Newport, UK.
- 2000 - 2002: Software Consultant at Formal Software Construction, Cardiff, UK.
- 2002 - 2005: Helix High-Performance Computing and Visualisation Officer, Cardiff University, UK.
- 2005 - 2010: Self-employed software and oceanic modelling consultant.
- 2010 onwards: Contributor to and core developer of Matplotlib, open-source Python visualisation library.