Dr Carolina Fuentes Toro
- Available for postgraduate supervision
I am a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Human-Computer Interaction and Human-Robot Interaction. I am a member of the Complex System Research Group and the new Centre for Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Human-Machine Systems (IROHMS).
My research focuses on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Internet of Things (IoT), and Socially Responsible Design of emerging technologies. I am particularly interested in understanding the impact of technology through a user-centred research focus in different contexts, e.g. healthcare, domestic environments, factory domains, and the global south.
- 2017: PhD in Computer Science & Human-Computer Interaction, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile.
- 2015: MSc in Computer Science, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile.
- 2005: BS in Computer Science, University of Santiago of Chile. Minor: Scientific Computing Analyst
- April 2020-Present: Lecturer, School of Computer Science and Informatics, Cardiff University, UK.
- 2019: Research Fellow, Horizon Digital Economy Research, University of Nottingham, UK.
- 2017: Research Fellow, Mixed Reality Laboratory, School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham, UK
- 2016: Assistant Professor, Andrés Bello University, Santiago, Chile.
- 2014: Research Intern, Microsoft Research
- 2014: Teaching Assistant, Advanced Programming, Finis Terrae University, Chile
- 2013: Research Assistant, NIC Chile Research Lab, User Center Design Group.
- 2012-2014: Teaching Assistant, Introduction to Programming, Catholic University of Chile
- 2007-2012: Project Manager Research & Development, Latin Telecomunicaciones S.A.
- 2005-2007: Software Engineer and Developer, Latin Telecomunicaciones S.A.
Honours and awards
- 2020 SPRITE+ NetworkPlus online sandpit on Trust, Identity, Privacy, and Security in the post-Covid Digital Economy.
- 2019 UK Digital Economy Crucible 2019, part of CHERISH Digital Economy Research Centre
- 2019 MWIT, Finalist of Midlands Women in Tech Awards 2019, Academic Category.
- 2014 Microsoft Research Latin America Fellowship Research PhD (awarded to 1% of applicants of Latin America graduate students)
- 2013 Google Scholarship plus travel funding to attend the Google Scholars Retreat, awarded to 12 Computer Science student in Latin American.
- 2013 Graduate Research Fellowship, National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research of Chile (Conicyt). Full funding (tuition and stipend) for four years, awarded to 20% of applicants.
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction (SIGCHI)
ACM Women Europe
Invited talks, Demos, & Seminars:
- 2019: Raspberry Pi Foundation's Hello World magazine!, https://helloworld.raspberrypi.org/issues/11 (pg. 34)
- 2019: Connected Everything conference: Human-Robot Collaboration for Allergen-Aware Factory Cleaning.
- 2018:: Poster: Everyday Interaction With Autonomous Internet of Things.
- 2017: Presentation: Human-Computer Interfaces to express and share emotional information, Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland.
- 2017: Demo presentation: Internet of things project, NIHR Nottingham Biomedical Research Centre, Technology Showcase.
- 2017: Tapia Conference 2017, Panel: “What No One Ever Told You About You About Searching for a Post-Grad School Job”, Atlanta.
- 2016: Demo presentation: EmoTree prototype at conference TEI’16, Eindhoven, Netherlands.
- 2016: Studio-Workshop: Tangible data, exploration in data physicalization., TEI’16, Eindhoven, Netherlands.
- 2013: Doctoral Colloquium at conference Ucami 2013, Costa Rica.
- 2013: “Human-computer interfaces to express and share emotional information in caregivers". Doctoral Consortium of SADUE13 Workshop.
- 2013: Poster presentation: Google Scholar Retreat 2013, “Towards a technology for caregivers: Ohana System”, NYC.
- 2012: Presentation at UXwIT workshop “Guidelines for Urban Search and Rescue Interface Design based on a Study of User Interaction”, Chilean Conference of Computer Science, November 2012, Valparaíso, Chile.
- 2012: “Panel Women in Computer Science”: Chilean Conference of Computer Science, November 2012, Valparaíso, Chile.
- 2009: Polycom User Group annual conference 2008 : “Video Conferencing Kiosk”, Orlando , Florida.
- 2008: Cio 100 Symposium & Award 2009: “Telepresence Kiosk”, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Public Engagement and Outreach:
- 2020: Ada Lovelace Day Celebration (online event), Organiser, School of Computer Science and Informatics, Cardiff University & School of Computer Science University of Nottingham and School.
- 2019: Ada Lovelace Day Celebration, Organiser, School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham.
- 2019: Discovery Day, School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham.
- 2019: Code First: Girl Organiser, School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham.
- 2019: Code First: Girl Instructor, School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham.
- 2018: Ada Lovelace Day Celebration, Organiser, School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham.
- 2014: Programming Summer School (for girls), Organiser, Catholic University of Chile.
- 2001-2004: Volunteering teaching computer science and math, Children’s Hospital School, NGO Nuestros Hijos, Santiago, Chile.
Committees and reviewing
- 2020: Virtual Program Co-Chair, The ACM Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW 2020).
- 2020: Associate Chair (AC) Late-Breaking Work the papers program for The ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2020).
- 2019: ACM Women Europe, Executive committee Associate, Volunteer Network
- 2019: Associate Chair (AC) Late-Breaking Work the papers program for The ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2019).
- 2019: PC member for the 9th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2019).
- 2016-2017: Student Volunteer Co-Chair, ACM CSCW.
- 2015: Student Volunteer, ACM CSCW.
- 2014: Scientific adviser at IX School Congress of Science and Technology EXPLORA from National Commission for Scientific and Technological Research of Chile (Conicyt).
- 2020: ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction
- 2020: MDPI Journal
- 2019 International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2019).
- 2019 CHI ACM Conference.
- 2018 UCAMI - International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing and Ambient Intelligence.
- 2018-2017 CHI ACM Conference.
- 2017 Mobile HCI ACM Conference, Journal of Computer in Human Behavior.
- 2015 TEI: ACM International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction.
- 2014 Latinity: Latin American women in technology.
- 2013 Chilean Conference on Human-Computer Interaction.
I am interested in supervising students in research areas including Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human-Robot Interaction(HRI) and Emerging Technologies, with particular focus on Healthcare, Sustainability, Industry, ICT4D and Complex Scenarios.