Dr Jedrzej Niklas
Research Associate, CASCADE
Jędrzej Niklas is Research Associate at School of Journalism, Media and Culture and the Data Justice Lab. In February 2020 he joined European Research Council-funded project DATAJUSTICE, directed by Lina Dencik. His current research explores the role of emerging digital technologies in the operations of state and public institutions and their social justice implications.
Over the last years, Jędrzej has worked across different projects that covered intersections between data, technology and society. He worked as a postdoctoral researcher at London School of Economics project "Justice, Equity and Technology" (2017-2018) where he studied “hi-tech” discrimination in relation to the norms, values, and practices of European civil society advocates campaigning for equity, social and racial justice, and human rights. He also worked as a researcher at AHCR-funded project "What constitutes ‘good data’ in the creative economy?" (2019) at the University of Leeds, analysing diversity data practices in the gaming industry.
He is author of several journal articles and reports related to data-driven technologies, human rights and political theory. He holds a PhD in law (international public law) from the University of Warsaw. Prior to his academic position for six years he was a legal and policy specialist at the Polish civil society organisation, Panoptykon Foundation addressing policies related to data protection, automated decision-making and surveillance of vulnerable groups.
Education and qualifications:
- 2017: PhD in law, Institute of International Law, Faculty of Law and Administration, Warsaw University, Thesis: "The concept of the human right to health. A comparative analysis of the practices of the International Human Rights bodies"
- 2012: Postgraduate course in healthcare studies, Warsaw School of Economics
- 2011: M.A. in Law, Faculty of Law and Administration
- 2020 - Research Associate, Cardiff University (current)
- 2019: Postdoctoral Researcher, Creative Economy Engagement Fellow, University of Leeds
- 2017-2018: Postdoctoral Research Officer, London School of Economics and Political Science
- 2011-2017: Legal and policy specialist, Panoptykon Foundation
Areas of expertise
No results were found