Dr Siân Edwards
Senior Lecturer in Hispanic Studies, Academic Coordinator Languages for All
I am a Senior Lecturer in Hispanic Studies and I am also responsible for the Academic Coordination of the Languages for All Programme across nine languages..I have lectured on Spanish language at all levels, including Spanish literature, politics and history. I have a particular interest in national identities in Spain, especially Catalonia. I have also lectured on French language and Contemporary French Studies. I joined Cardiff University in January 2015. My current reserach and scholarship interests focus on national identities and the pedagogy of language teaching. I am currently involved in scholarship projects on multi modal language teaching and the use of digital technologies in language pedagogy. I speak Spanish, French and Catalan as well as English and Welsh.
Before joining the School, I was a Senior Lecturer in Spanish at Swansea University and Associate Dean of Undergraduates at the College of Arts and Humanities. I have lectured in Spanish language and Spanish contemporary history and cultural studies, with a particular interest in Catalan history and politics. I studied French and Spanish from my first degree and this followed with an MPhil on the Mobilisation of Catalan Identity, the case of Avui (1994) and with a Doctorate on the programmes of the Catalan political parties towards national identity between 1979 and 2000 (2004). I was appointed a Tutorial Fellow in Spanish in Cardiff University in 1993, then Lecturer in French at Swansea University (1997) and Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in Hispanic Studies in Swansea University (2000).
I have worked closely with the British Council in my role arranging the year abroad in Spain and Latin America, with Routes into Languages with schools in Wales and the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol. I contribute regularly to local and international media programmes and reports on issues relating to contemporary Spain.
Professional Translations and Adaptations
Patagonia 150 Yma i Aros (Talybont: Y Lolfa 2015) ISBN-10: 178461128X ISBN-13: 978-1784611286 (from Welsh to Spanish). This volume of photographs depicts 150 years of the Welsh Settlement in Patagonia. It contains captions in Welsh, English and Spanish.http://www.ylolfa.com/en/dangos.php?&ISBN=9781784611286
‘The Virtual Reality of Catalonia’ (from Catalan) inA Week in Europe (Cardiff: The Welsh Academy 1995)
‘The Catalan Used on Television’ (from Catalan) in Mercator Media Forum (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 1995)
Translation into Spanish (from Welsh) of the filmscript Branwen (1995)
The Security and Defence Policies of European Christian Democracy’ (from French) in David Hanley (ed), Christian Democracy in Europe: A Comparative Perspective (London: Pinter 1994)
Le Français pour l’École primaire; A programme to introduce French for primary school teachers, in cooperation with Trinity College Carmarthen (1992)
Honours and awards
Erasmus Mobility Award (April 2018) Languages in a Mulitlingual Context, Universitat Autònoma Barcelona
Erasmus Mobility Award (May 2017): Studying Languages in a Multilingual Context, University of Girona
Secretary of the Association of Contemporary Iberian Studies (ACIS)
Member of the MFL Strategic Panel for the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol
Previous academic positions
- 2015 -: Senior Lecturer in Hispanic Studies Cardiff University. Academic Coordinator for the Languages for All programme.
- 2000-2015: Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in Hispanic Studies, Swansea University
- 1997-2000: Lecturer in French, Swansea University
- 1993-1997: Tutorial Fellow in Spanish, University of Wales Cardiff.
- 1992-1993: Tutor in French and Spanish, University of Wales Cardiff.
Committees and reviewing
I review material for the Journal of Contemporary European Studies, the Bulletin of Spanish Studies, Bulletin of Hispanic Studies and West European Politics.
I am a book reviewer for Routledge
I have over twenty years experience teaching languages in Higher Education, having taught both French and Spanish language, translation and literature and cultural optional modules at all undergraduate levels. My teaching interests have focussed on contemporary Spanish history and culture, particularly national and regional identities in Spain and in France, the Franco regime and Fascism and the Transition to Democracy. My particular specialism is Catalan national identity. I have supervised a large number of undergraduate dissertations on socio cultural, political and historical aspects of modern Spain from football and nationalism to gender representation in Spanish political parties to film and politics.
I have led with colleagues on the development of langauge provision for LFA across nine langugages and the development of digital learning in lanugages.
I have long been involved in introducing the study of Modern Foreign languages through the medium of Welsh. I have innovated in terms of Welsh medium provision for degree programmes in both French and Spanish and continue to cooperate with colleagues from other HE institutions in Wales and the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol.
As PG level I have taught MA programmes on the Cultures of Fascism and co-supervised PhD dissertation on language policy. I contribute to MA programmes in Translation studies.I would welcome prospective postgraduates with an interest particularly in Catalan society and politics, as well as within the broader context of the politics of identity and diversity in Spain or in terms of language teaching in the areas of bilingual teaching and what motivates language learners.
ML0387 and ML0396 Dissertation (Final year)
ML0280 Spanish Language (Second year)
ML5120 Translation (Second year)
ML 2374 Translating Cultures (Final year)
ML0097 and ML0099 Intercalary Year
Exeternal Examiner Appointments
I am currently an External Examiner (Undergraduate programmes) at the University of Sussex
Previous appointments include Salford University (Undergraduate Degree programmes in Spanish and in Translation and Interpreting and University wide language programmes)and Aberystwyth University (French Undergraduate)
Other previous Examining Appointments
WJEC Spanish A level Examiner and Moderator
Member of subject advisory boards for GCE A and GCSE qualifications in Modern Languages for WJEC and OFQUAL.
My research interests have focussed on national and regional identities in Spain. My MPhil examined how the press mobilised public opinion in Catalonia during the transition to democracy in Catalonia and my PhD analysed the policies of Catalan political parties towards national identity between 1979 and 2000. I have also written on Welsh experiences of Spain, particularly during and following the Spanish Civil War. In terms of language teaching I have recently been working on research into the motivations of learners in bilingual contexts and the influence of multilingual environments on language learning.
Edwards, S. 2018 Egwyddor a Phropaganda: Cyfundrefn Franco a Chôr y Rhos. Gwerddon Fach 4/10/2018 https://golwg360.cymru/gwerddon/530017-egwyddor-phropaganda-cyfundrefn-franco-chor-rhos
Edwards, S.2013 Egwyddor a Phropaganda: Cyfundrefn Franco a Chôr y Rhos. Gwerddon 15 Gorffennaf 2013 pp. 60-78. http://www.gwerddon.cymru/cy/rhifynnau/rhifyn15/erthygl4/
Edwards S. 2018 Interrogating Francoism, Book review Bulletin of Spanish Studies Volume 95, Issue 8.https://doi.org/10.1080/14753820.2018.1542874
Edwards, S. 2018 Las dos Españas’: Terror and Crisis in Contemporary Spain, Book Review in Bulletin of Spanish Studies volume 95, Issue 7. https://doi.org/10.1080/14753820.2018.1535465
- 4th -7th September 2018 'Language Learning: Barriers and Benefits' Association of Contemporary Iberian Studies (ACIS) Barcelona University.
- 7th-10th September 2016 'Enseñar el español en un contexto multilingüe en Gales, Reino Unido' XXVII Congreso Internacional de ASELE, Universidad de La Rioja, Logroño, Cilengua, San Millán de la Cogolla Panhispanismo y variedades en la enseñanza del español L2-LE.
- 2nd-4th September 2015 'Teaching Spanish in a Bilingual Environment', The Association of Contemporary Iberian Studies, Universidad Autónoma, Madrid.
- 3rd- 4thSeptember 2014: ‘War, Propaganda and ‘’Communicating the truth’’: the Spanish Civil War and the Welsh perspective, The Association of Contemporary Iberian Studies, University of Westminster.
- 2-4th July 2014 ‘Multilingual teaching- a comparative perspective of the Autònoma University and Swansea’, International Conference of the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, Cardiff. Pa le i’n hiaith mewn addysg uwch? (What is the role of our language in Higher Education?)
- September 2012 ‘Ymgyrchu ieithyddol yng Nghatalwnia’ International conference on language campaigning, Aberystwyth.
- 14th June 2012 ‘Egwyddor a Phropaganda: Cyfundrefn Franco a Chôr y Rhos’ Cynhadledd Ieithoedd Cyfrwng Cymraeg, Swansea University.
- 12th April 2011 ‘Wales, Workers, and Francoist Spain.’ Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland, Nottingham University.
- 6th -7thApril 2011 Seminari L’estat de la recerca dels processos d’institucionalització del franquisme’, University of Barcelona (Invited speaker)
- 3rd-4th October 2009 ‘Confessions of a Catalan Falangist Supporter’, Women in Spanish and Portuguese conference, Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford
- 6-7 July 2006: ‘Immigration, Representation and Identity in Catalan Politics’ at the international conference on Immigration in Catalonia: History, discourses, Representations, Queen Mary, University of London
- 3-4 June 2005: ‘Re-charting Catalonia’ in ‘Charting Transfers: Remapping Iberia’, Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, Trinity College, Oxford
- 23rd February 2005: ‘The Cultural Policies of the Catalan Political Parties since the 1980s’ Hispanic Studies Research Seminar
- 17th-19th September 1999: ‘Towards a new regionalist culture in the policies of the Catalan parties’, International Conference of the Association of Regional Studies Association, ‘The New Nationalism and Regionalism in Europe’, University of Bilbao.
- 3rd-4th September 1999 ‘Regional identity and Cross-border cooperation: the case of Languedoc-Roussillon, Midi-Pyrénées and Catalonia’. Association of Modern French Studies, ‘Towards the new millennium: Re-inventing France’, Cardiff.
- 11th September 1996 ‘Media Representations of Political Identity’, University College Keele.
- 3rd July 1996 ‘Reading comprehension and written expression’, using plays for University first year language teaching, Salford University.
- 10th May 1996 ‘Mirall Trancat’: Regionalism and Nationalism in Europe, International Seminar on Regionalism and Nationalism, Cardiff University.
- 8th September 1995 ‘The Press and the mobilisation of Public Sentiment’ International Conference ‘Identities in Flux’, University of Portsmouth