Dr Ali Ghoroghi
I am working as a research fellow at the BRE Trust Centre for Sustainable Engineering Centre. My work focuses on Data Science, simulation and optimisation models.
I am an industrial engineer and computer scientist with over two decades of experience in technical, managerial and academic roles. I hold a BSc in Industrial Engineering from Tehran Amirkabir University of Technology. I also hold two MSc qualifications in both Industrial Engineering and Computer Science from Esfehan University of Technology and Imperial College respectively. I then obtained my PhD in Computer Science from Imperial College with a thesis in the field of Game Theory. I have held different teaching, supervision and research roles in academia over the years.
My research interests include:
- Data Science
- Modelling, Simulation & Optimisation
- Game Theory & Multi-agent Systems
- Supply Chain Management
I obtained a BSc in Industrial Engineering in 1992 at Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran. I then went on to obtain an MSC at Esfahan University of Technology before beginning a career in the industry at Bahman Manufacturing Co. where I worked in various roles both technical and managerial. I innovated, planned and implemented Quality Assurance during my time there and redesigned assembly lines for the factory. I was also involved in technology transfers abroad (Cuba) and set up networks for engineering students to be able to gain valuable work experience in the industry. I was also a board member at Saipa Glass Co and later became a management consultant to Bahman Manufacturing Co.
During this time, I was also teaching at the University of Science and Culture where I later became Head of the Industrial Engineering department and a Professor Assistant. In 2008, I came to the UK to pursue a PhD, before changing my field from industrial engineering to computer science and moving to Imperial College. From there I obtained an MSc and a PhD focusing on Game Theory and began teaching short crash courses in Iran while being involved in research in the UK.
I am passionate about research, teaching and collaborations with the industry in pioneering projects. I am also a reviewer for the following international journal:
- Journal of Industrial Ecology
I have over two decades of experience in academia I then taught at the School of Engineering, University of Science and Culture in Iran where I later became a professor assistant.
Courses I have taught include:
- University of Science and Culture, Tehran:
- Artificial Intelligence, Simulation in Logistics, Management Information Systems, Simulation and Stochastic Models, Operations Research, Engineering Statistics, Engineering Economics, Information Technology, Principal of Management, Human Factors or Ergonomics, Statistical Quality Control, Quality Management.
- Islamic Azad University, Tehran:
- Operations Research
Recent Publications and Talks:
* Ghoroghi, Ali, Yacine Rezgui, Ioan Petri, et al. (Mar. 2022). “Advances in application of machine learning to life cycle
assessment: a literature review”. In: International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. uRl: https://orca.cardiff.ac.uk/149185/.
review”. Int J Life Cycle Assess (2022). url: https://orca.cardiff.ac.uk/149185/.
* Ateyah Alzahrani, Ioan Petri, Yacine Rezgui, Ali Ghoroghi (2021), "Decarbonisation of seaports: A review and directions for future research", Energy Strategy Reviews, Volume 38, 2021, 100727, ISSN 2211-467X, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esr.2021.100727 .
* A. Alzahrani, I. Petri, Y. Rezgui and A. Ghoroghi, "Optimal control-based price strategies for smart fishery ports micro-grids," 2021 IEEE International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation (ICE/ITMC), 2021, pp. 1-8, doi: 10.1109/ICE/ITMC52061.2021.9570267.
* Abedinzadeh, Setareh, Ali Ghoroghi, and Hamid Reza Erfanian (2020). “Application of Hybrid GA-SA Heuristic for
Green Location Routing Problem with Simultaneous Pickup and Delivery”. In: Advances 1.1, pp. 1–10. doi:
*Alzahrani, Ateyah, Ioan Petri, Yacine Rezgui, and Ali Ghoroghi. 2020. "Developing Smart Energy Communities around Fishery Ports: Toward Zero-Carbon Fishery Ports" Energies 13, no. 11: 2779. https://doi.org/10.3390/en13112779
* Abedinzadeh, S., A. Mostofi, and A. Ghoroghi (2018). “Application of hybrid GA-SA heuristic for green location routing problem with simultaneous pickup and delivery”. In: 48th International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering (CIE48). Auckland, New Zealand.
* Edalat, Abbas, Samira Hossein Ghorban, and Ali Ghoroghi. 2018. "Ex Post Nash Equilibrium in Linear Bayesian Games for Decision Making in Multi-Environments" Games 9, no. 4: 85. https://doi.org/10.3390/g9040085 .
* Abedinzadeh, S., S. Afshar, and A. Ghoroghi (2017). “A Two-Echelon Green Supply Chain with Simultaneous Pickup and Delivery”. In: International Journal of Transportation Engineering and Technology (IJTET) 3, pp. 12–18.
* Edalat, A., S. Hossein Ghorban, and A. Ghoroghi (2017). “Multi-games for Decision Making in Multi-environments”. In: MLSE. Maastricht University, Netherlands.
* Rafiefar, N. and A. Ghoroghi (2017a). “An efficient helicopter routing model for location and storage optimisation in Tehran’s earthquake disasters”. In The First International Congress on Engineering Science (NCIES017). Shiraz, Iran.
* – (2017b). “Application of genetic algorithm for location routing problem with simultaneous pickup & delivery in emergencies”. In: The first national Conference on Applied Researches in Science and Engineering Science. Mashhad, Iran.
* Ghoroghi, A. (2015). “Multi-Games and Bayesian Nash Equilibria”. Logic Seminar. Imperial College London, UK.
* Edalat, A. and A. Ghoroghi (2013). Multi-Games. Invited talk, Imperial College London Graduate School’s Summer Research Symposium, UK.
* Edalat, A., A. Ghoroghi, and G. Sakellariou (2012). “Multi-Games and a double game extension of the Prisoner’s
Dilemma”. In: 10th Conference on Logic, the Foundations of Game, and Decision Theory (LOFT). Seville, Spain.