I am currently working as a Research Associate at Cardiff University’s Centre for the Study of Islam in the UK (http://sites.cardiff.ac.uk/islamukcentre/), leading a Key Stage 3 curriculum development project based on the Centre’s hugely successful Muslims in Britain MOOC (http://sites.cardiff.ac.uk/islamukcentre/research/muslims-in-britain-mooc2re/). This project has been generously funded by the Jameel Research Programme.
- Islam, Muslims, and education in Britain (2018, conference organiser)
- Muslim RE teachers and Religious Education: balancing personal faith and professional responsibilities (2017, Harmony Interfaith Lecture Series, University of Wales Trinity St David – invited speaker)
- Muslims in the UK and Europe Symposium 2018 (Cambridge University)
- Associate Fellowship accreditation (Higher Education Academy)
- PGCE and QTS in Secondary Religious Education
- Muslims and Education: MA seminar
- Introduction to Religion 1 & 2: Undergraduate modules
My research interests include Muslim experiences of education, Religious Education (RE), and identities and expressions of ‘lived religion’. I utilise sociology of religion methodologies, particularly the work of Nancy Ammerman and Meredith McGuire, alongside my previous experience of RE teaching. I am also keen to engage with practitioners in these fields in my research.
- Muslim Identities in Contemporary Britain: The Case of Muslim Religious Education Teachers
“I Feel as Though I’m Doing the Job of the Imam for Them”: Considering ‘Tactical’ Muslim Leadership Through the Case of ‘Muslim RE Teachers’ - (Religions, 2019: https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/10/7/420)
- ‘Being There’: A brief reflection on shadowing Muslim RE teachers - (article for the Centre for the Study of Islam in the UK Blog, 2017)
- Islamic Education in Britain: New Pluralist Paradigms – Book Review (2016, Journal of Beliefs and Values, 37:1)