Dr Prabirendra Chatterjee
Lecturer in Marketing
I am an assistant professor (lecturer) of Marketing at Cardiff University Business school. Previously I was an assistant professor at Sabanci University in Istanbul. I received my PhD, MSBA and MA in Economics degrees from University of Washington, USA.
PhD in Business Administration (with major specialization in Quantitative Marketing, and minors in Economics and Econometrics): Foster School of Business, University of Washington (2013)
MS in Business Administration: Foster School of Business, University of Washington (2012)
MA in Economics: University of Washington (2007)
MA in Economics (with specialization in World Economy): School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India (2003)
B.Sc (Honors) in Economics: University of Calcutta, India (2001)
Honours and awards
Cardiff Business School Seedcorn Grant for Research (2020, 2019)
Cardiff Business School Learning and Teaching Grant (2020)
Marketing & Strategy Department Research Grant,Cardiff Business School (2020, 2019)
Cardiff University Erasmus Exchange Fellow (2020)
EMBA consortium faculty fellow (2016, 2015)
Sabanci University Erasmus exchange fellow (2018, 2015, 2014)
Selected fellow for the academy of Marketing science world congress (2014)
Evert Mccabe endowed fellowship (2012)
2019 - present: Assistant Professor (Lecturer), Cardiff University, UK
2013 - 2018: Assistant Professor, Sabanci University, Istanbul, Turkey
2011 - 2013: Adjunct Lecturer, Foster School of Business, University of Washington, USA
2011: Adjunct Lecturer, Albers School of Business and Economics, Seattle University, USA
BBC X-Ray (2020), Lancaster University (2020), Presidency University (2019), Indian Institute of Management (2019), IE Business School (2019), Marketing Science Conference (2019), Cardiff University Business School (2018), ICN Business School (2018),10th Workshop on economics of advertising and marketing (2017),POMS Conference, Seattle (2017), Jawaharlal Nehru University (2017), Marketing Science Conference (2017), Koc - Ozyegin - Sabanci University Marketing research Camp (2016), Marketing science conference, University of Southern California (2016), UTD Forms conference (Discussant), UT Dallas (2016)
Committees and reviewing
Marketing Science, Production and Operations Management, European Journal of Operation Research, Journal of Business Research, MIS Quarterly, Decision Science, Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Electronic Commerce Research, Bulletin of Economics Research, International Journal of Emerging Markets, International Economics and Finance Journal, Information Systems Frontier, International Journal of Sustainable Development and World Ecology.
Academic Year 2020-21
1. Global Marketing for MBM program (Fall 2020)
2. Marketing Analytics for MSc in Marketing program (Spring 2021)
PhD: Research methodologies
MBA: Core Marketing
MSc: Research in Strategic Marketing
Undergraduate: Strategic Management
My research expertise lies in the fields of Media markets, Online advertising, Online retailing, New product development and Corporate social responsibility. Methodology wise I mostly use tools from Applied game theory and Behaviourial economics. Please find below a list publications and working papers.
1. Sponsored Content Advertising in A Two-Sided Market (with Bobby Zhou). Management Science, Accepted, 2020.
2. When and How Is Corporate Social Responsibility Profitable? (with Pradeep Bhardwaj, Kivilcim Demir and Ozge Turut). Journal of Business Research, vol. 84, 206-219, 2018.
3. Optimal Bidding Strategies in Sponsored Search Advertising Auctions. Under Review.
4. Fake Media Content and Cognitive Dissonance (with Andy Ng). Working Paper.
5. Fast or Free - On Partitioned Pricing Competition Between Online Retailers (with Pradeep Bhardwaj). Working Paper.
6. Role of Anticipated Regret in Online Review Manipulations. Working Paper.
7. On Bayesian Bidding Strategies of A Multi-Period Participant in Sequential Online Auctions (with Arvind Tripathi and Paulo Goes). Proceedings of 20th Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems, 2010.
8. The Ellusive Challenge of Estimating Costs (with Molly Macauley). Space News, vol. 18, no. 30., 18-19, 2007.
9. Book Review on "Economics of Microfinance" (with Sudipta Sarangi). Southern Economic Journal, vol. 73, no.1, 2006.
10. Enforcement with Costly Group Formation (with Sudipta Sarangi). Economics Bulletin, vol. 15, no. 9, 2005.
11. Social Identity and Group Lending (with Sudipta Sarangi). Discussion Paper 45, DIW Berlin, German Institute of Economic Research, 2005.
I am interested in supervising PhD, MSc and MBA students in the areas of:
- Digital and Computational Advertising
- Online Retailing
- Pricing Strategies
- New Product Development
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Aritificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning in Marketing
- Behavioural Economics
Current PhD Student (Committee Member): Kerry Hudson (Cardiff University)
1. The impact of online retailing on consumers' decision-making process, (Tianshu Sun).
1. Business plan for Chinese Teahouses in UK (Chenqian Shang, Manling Zhou, Qingyu Liu, Xinyue Zhang, Yanyan Su, Ziling Huang, Zixi Zhang).
2. Self-service grocery store for the pandemic affected economy (Yuhan Wang, Shengyuan Liang, Hongsheng Wu, Jinou Wang, Jiaxi Qiu, Xin Wang, Huadong Yu, Jiahao Chen).
1. Consumer acquisition and retention - an empirical analysis of a retail industry background (Wenting Yang).
2. The impact of social media advertising on brand equity in China (Chendi Ye).
3. The impact of social media marketing on the consumption of foreign origin products in China (Hao Yang).
1. Developing Microfinance strategy in Sierra Leone (Aakash Nagpal, Hanyu Jin, Rui Zheng, Xi Chang, Xiuqi Xia).
2. On segmentation of the market for 'Virgin Hair' (Yuanting Wen, Jianhuang Cai, Li Xu, Jiali Wang, Qi Cao).