Dr Mark Taubert
Clinical Director, Consultant Physician & Honorary Senior Lecturer in Palliative Medicine
- Velindre NHS Trust
- National Strategic Lead for Advance Care Planning in Wales
- Byw Nawr/Live Now coalition clinical lead
- Harvard Medical School GCSRT programme faculty
- Welsh End of Life Care board member
- NHS Bevan Commission Senior Fellow
- BMJ Group Editor (BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care)
Writing, Media & Bringing Palliative Care to wider public attention:
Interviews and media appearances include BBC Horizon We Need to Talk About Death, ITV, Fox News, BBC Radio 4.
Cultural collaborations include a West End show in London's Soho Theatre, entitled "The Colours" , National Theatre Wales' production "As Long As The Heart Beats" and taking part in the BBC Listening Project.
Plenaries at numerous healthcare, research, sociology and technology events. Other events of interest:
- Tedx Talk Cardiff
- Edinburgh Fringe Comedy Festival Scotland
- Sorveiv Music Festival Norway
- Hay Literary Festival Wales
- Researcher of the Year Award Winner 2019 European Association for Palliative Care Award ceremony at 16th World Congress of the EAPC in Berlin, Germany
- Winner of Excellence in Patient Care Awards 2019 Royal College of Physicians, London
- Winner Health Service Journal Patient Safety Awards (Palliative Care category) 2018
- Winner BMA/BMJ Clinical Teacher of the Year award 2017
- Winner NHS Wales Award (2016)
- Winner BEST Educational Supervisor Award in Wales 2016 - Wales Deanery
- TalkCPR website Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR) decisions in palliative care
- Digital Legacy Association
- E-ELCA on Do Not Attempt CPR communication skills
- Moth project Falmouth University graphic design collaboration exhibited in galleries & conferences
- Advance Care Planning website for NHS Wales - an online area for patients, proxy & healthcare professionals
- Velindre VR Project: Virtual Reality video library. Details Wales STEME Conference VR in MedEd Plenary video
Mark is a palliative care doctor and senior lecturer. He created the TalkCPR.com website & app and has given a Ted Talk on why language and wording is important in palliative care. He writes for international newspapers and web based media outlets on contemporary medical topics. Mark took part in a BBC Horizon programme on Palliative Care alongside Kevin Fong, and has also done extensive media work with television, theatre and radio. He has talked about medical topics at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and at Hay Literary Festival.
A few years ago he had a brief brush with fame, when his posthumous letter to David Bowie, which covers the components of good end of life care, went viral on the internet and in global newsrooms. The letter has been made into a classical music composition which was aired on BBC Radio 3, and has been publicly read out by various celebrities and drifters in locations including New York, London, Hay-on-Wye, Edinburgh and Berlin.
He hails from Hessen in Germany and has settled in the land of song, Wales. On occasion, he acts as an adviser for a Welsh TV soap opera called Pobol y Cwm, on matters medical, end of life and palliative, and he has thus far choreographed the deaths of two of the programme's main characters.
Letters of Note: