Dr Alistair Reid
Lecturer (Teaching and Research)
I am a Lecturer within Cardiff University's School of Engineering and a member of the Advanced High Voltage Engineering Research Group. My research interests are in the fields of condition monitoring, HVDC and gas-insulated power systems, partial discharge, sensors and energy harvesting.
- 2007 – PhD, Electronic & Electrical Engineering (University of Strathclyde)
- 2004 – BEng(Hons), Electrical & Mechanical Engineering - 1st. (University of Strathclyde)
- IEEE Senior Member (SMIEEE)
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA)
- 2016-present: Lecturer, Cardiff University
- 2014-16: Lecturer, Glasgow Caledonian University
- 2013: Visiting Researcher, California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- 2011-13: Research Fellow, Glasgow Caledonian University
- 2007-11: Post-Doctoral RA, University of Strathclyde
Committees and reviewing
PhD External Examiner
- 2018 – Minan Zhu (Supervised by Dr M. Judd, University of Strathclyde)
2017 – José De Marcos (Supervised by Dr. Guillermo Muñoz, University of Madrid)
PhD Vivas Chaired
- 2016 – Ran Bi (Supervised by Dr. C. Zhou, Glasgow Caledonian University)
- 2014 – Chao Long (Supervised by Dr. D. Hepburn, Glasgow Caledonian University)
- High voltage insulation diagnostics
- On-line monitoring
- Partial discharge measurement
- UHF sensors
- Seismic monitoring
- Energy harvesting
- 2019-21 National Grid funded project "Limiting SF6 leakage & full scale valifdation test facility" (~£336k)
- 2016-21 FLEXIS WP16 "Environmentally-Friendly Electrical Power Plant and Insulation" (~£1.5M)
My current PhD projects are in the area of high voltage insulation diagnostics, with concentration on alternative 'environmentally friendly' gas mixtures, partial discharge diagnostics, HVDC, UHF sensors, fault location and online monitoring systems.
Please see the University's Postgraduate Study webpages for deatils on how to apply.
- Mohamad Azizian-Fard (Main Supervisor 2014-16). Project title: "An Investigation into the Influence of
HVDC Voltages on Insulation Degradation in Power Cables"
- Yan Jiang (Co-supervisor 2012-15). Project title: "Development of Condition Monitoring Systems for High Voltage Insulators"