Dr Jay Millington
Senior Lecturer - Teaching and Scholarship
I am a Chartered Engineer with both industrial and academic experience. My main teaching areas are fluid mechanics and surveying plus I am the Year One Tutor and Senior Personal Tutor. My PhD from the University of Warwick concerned pressure surge modelling, I have published research on hydro-power and am active in pedagogic research. Having recently completed an MA in Creative Writing at Bath Spa University, I am also exploring opportunities in teaching and research where engineering and writing can combine.
Senior Lecturer: Cardiff University, Cardiff; Jan 2018 – present
Based in the Department of Civil Engineering within the School of Engineering, College of Physical Sciences and Engineering:
- Module Leader and lecturer in hydraulics and engineering surveying – I maintain my currency of teaching by following technological developments in the subject areas and keeping abreast of the latest pedagogy applicable to undergraduate engineers.
- 1st Year Tutor – managing ~150 undergraduates and reporting on their progress to the Exam Board.
- Member of the Extenuating Circumstances Board – assessing student applications.
- Senior Personal Tutor – supporting fellow Personal Tutors in their role with students.
- Residential field trip leader – organiser and tacheometry task leader for 1st year surveying (Shropshire); rock engineering task leader for 2nd year field studies (Devon).
- Research – pedagogy for engineering; exploring opportunities where creative writing and engineering can combine.
Senior Lecturer: University of the West of England, Bristol; Jul 2005 – Jan 2018
Based in the Department of Geography and Environmental Management within the Faculty of Environment and Technology:
- Module Leader and lecturer in hydraulics and engineering surveying. My role included leading residential field trips to Wessex Water sites (2011-17) and various other UK locations (2005-17), plus abroad in Spain (2012) and Kenya (2013). I also made civil engineering partnership presentations at Changchun Architecture and Civil Engineering College, and Shenyang Jianzhu University in China (2012).
- My specialist duties included Programme Manager for BEng (Hons) Civil and Environmental Engineering (2013-15), Deputy Programme Leader for BSc (Hons) Civil and Environmental Engineering (2011-13), and FdSc River and Coastal Engineering (2006-11); Module Leader representative on the faculty’s Academic Standards and Quality Committee (2013-14); Civil Engineering Link Tutor with Northshore College of Business and Technology, Sri Lanka (2011-14).
- My research in hydropower and its use within the water industry resulted in apublished a book chapter (2014) and a presentation at the British Hydropower’s Annual Conference (2012); I also presented at a Teachers of Surveying Conference (2008).
Engineer: Tensys Ltd, Bath; May 2001 – Mar 2004
Tension structure consultants to architects, structural engineers and fabricators:
- I was responsible for form finding, analysing and patterning a variety of fabric structures, particularly roofs constructed of stressed PTFE or PVC; these included canopies and stadiums for clients around the world.
- My specialist duties involved developing the company’s CFD expertise for application with wind load modelling and airship design, using a commercial code (I appraised the CFD packages Fluent, CFX, Star-CD and COSMOS FloWorks).
- My projects included: SeaWorld Florida, USA; Goyang Stadium, South Korea; Suvarnabhumi International Airport Bangkok, Thailand; Zayed City Camel Racecourse, Abu Dhabi.
Engineer: Earth Tech Engineering Ltd, Barnsley; Dec 1997 – Mar 2000
Water engineering consultants:
- I spent twenty months in the Clean Water Networks team and eight months in Sewerage Networks team, where work required regular consultation with clients, organisation of interdepartmental resources and supervision of sub-consultants and junior members of staff.
- My experience included computer modelling of sewerage systems and water distribution networks, project management of Yorkshire Water’s leakage reduction scheme, and production of feasibility reports that involved outline design.
- My projects included (all for Yorkshire Water Services): Drainage area studies within the Ouse, water mains renewal near Hull, leakage reduction management of the entire Yorkshire Water region and a network modelling secondment in Hull.
Junior Estimator: T J Brent Ltd, Bodmin; Aug 1993 – Jan 1994
Water engineering contractors:
- I estimated construction costs of various civil engineering projects, including pipe-laying contracts and a coastal defence scheme.
Trainee Engineer: E Thomas Construction (Mowlem), Truro; Jul – Sep 1992
Water engineering contractors:
- For my industrial placement, I assisted the site engineer at Delabole STW.
Principle teaching duties:
- Civil Engineering Design (3rd year) – feasibility study of a pumped trunk and gravity distribution main using Wessex Water’s design standards.
- Hydraulics and Soil Mechanics (2nd year) – dynamics, pipelines and open channel flow.
- Professional Engineering (1st year) – lab reporting, institutions, PDP, ethics, Health & Safety, team-working.
- Materials and Construction (1st year) – surveying and setting out with automatic levels and total stations.
- Project (3rd year) and Dissertation (MSc) – personal tutor for hydraulics, renewable energy, SuDS, surveying and engineering pedagogy projects.
- Field trip (1st and 2nd years) – surveying / field studies
- International summer school (undergraduates from overseas) – field trips and laboratories
Publications and other public output:
- MILLINGTON, J. D., 2019. Graveyard Shift. In: Sutton, P. and Nash, E., eds. Tales from the Graveyard. North Bristol Writers: Iande Press.
- MILLINGTON, J. D., 2018. Grapefruit and Mint. Read at Clifton Suspension Bridge: Bristol Festival of Literature.
- MILLINGTON, J. D., 2017. Detached. Read at 51 Stokes Croft: Bristol Festival of Literature.
- MILLINGTON, J. D., 2017. Cyclops. Read at Arnos Vale Cemetery: Bristol Festival of Literature.
- Dissertation Tutor for: THUMS, F., 2017. MAC: Innovative Sewer Assessment. Trenchless International, ISTT. Fall 2017, 37:34-37.
- MILLINGTON, J. D., 2014. Powering the Water Industry. In: Booth, C. and Charlesworth, S., eds. Water Resources in the Built Environment – Management Issues and Solutions. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- MILLINGTON, J. D., 2012. Powering the Water Industry: Issues and Opportunities. BHA Annual Conference, Glasgow 23-24 October 2012: British Hydropower Association.
- MILLINGTON, J. D., 2008. Surveying for First Year Engineering Students. Presentation at 44th Teachers of Surveying Meeting, University of Nottingham.
- Dissertation Tutor for: HOLMES, T., 2007. The Impact of Surveying and Setting- out Technology in Construction 1986-2006. Civil Engineering Surveyor, ICES, London. October 2007, p17-18.
- MILLINGTON, J. D., 1997. The Computer Simulation of Pressure Transients in the Condenser of a Cooling Water System. PhD thesis, University of Warwick.
- MILLINGTON, J. D. and BOLDY, A. P., 1996. The Computer Modelling of a Condenser in a Cooling Water System. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Pressure Surges and Fluid Transients in Pipelines and Open Channels, Harrogate, UK, 16-18 April 1996. Cranfield University: BHR Group, p503-519.