Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
I am a final year Philosophy PhD student at Cardiff University and a former visiting scholar at the Husserl Archives: Centre for Phenomenology and Continental Philosophy (KU Leuven).
My research theorises a Whiteheadian account of inter-relational feeling under the concept of ontological empathy. This is in the light of the new planetary era, which makes the project of re-situating human engagements with non-humans take on a renewed sense of urgency. Yet there are severe blocks to such an cultural/ethical paradigm shift. I am concerned with the impasse of passivity, whereby a person admits the urgency of the climate issue but nevertheless continues to act as if the crisis was not actually happening. My thesis is that we need to invigorate in such a person what Alfred North Whitehead refers to as the primitive disposition to “feeling the feeling in another” (PR, 162). My wager is that if we successfully “draw out habits of aesthetic apprehension” (SMW, 199) and foster sensitivity to the value and vitality of emergent ecology, those of us on the edge of passivity might stand a better chance of adopting an active, ethical stance towards the planet.
My project is generously funded by the School of English, Communication and Philosophy (ENCAP), Cardiff University and the ENDEAVOUR Scholarships Scheme, Ministry for Education and Employment, Malta.
Process Philosophy, Philosophy of Ecology, Philosophy of Emotions, 20th and 21st Century Continental Philosophy.
- SE4104 – Four Great Works of Philosophy: Transformative Experience and Authority and Estrangement (Spring 19/20)
- SE4108 – Debates in the History of Philosophy (Spring 18/19 and 19/20)
- SE4110 – Philosophy Through Fiction and Film (Autumn18/19)
- SE4103 – Mind, Thought and Reality (Autumn and Spring 17/18)
- SE4101 – Moral and Political Philosophy (Autumn and Spring 17/18)
- SE4104 – Four Great Works of Philosophy: Reasons and Persons (Autumn 16/17)
- SE4107 – Critical Thinking (Substitute Teaching 16/17 and 17/18)
- Pre-Sessional Academic English Tutor, Cardiff Metropolitan University (Summer 18/19 and 19/20)
- Brilliant Club Tutor – Panpsychism: What Is It Like To Be a Rock? Delivered to KS3 and KS4 (Autumn 18/19)