Skip to main content

Medical treatment

If you require medical or dental treatment then you need to ensure you register with a doctor or a dentist.

Register with a doctor

In the UK, medical non-emergencies are dealt with in a surgery by a doctor, otherwise known as a General Practitioner (GP).

You need to register with a doctor before you are treated. You must do this within the first week of your arrival in the UK.

For names and addresses of doctors, you should email the University Health Centre.

There will also be opportunities to register with a doctor at University Halls of Residence.

Women can see a female doctor.

Appointments are short - only five to ten minutes, but your doctor will refer you to a consultant – an expert - if you need extra or special treatment, like an operation.

Register with a dentist

You can choose which NHS dentist you want to be registered with (it does not need to be the dental practice closest to your residence), but you need to be registered with a dentist before you receive treatment from them.

NHS registered dentists are considerable cheaper than private dentists.

Organ donation in Wales

On 1 December 2015 the law around organ donation in Wales changed. This will apply to everyone who is resident in Wales for more than 12 months - including international students.

To find out more and to register your decision to opt in or opt out visit Organ Donation Wales.

Other help

You can get health advice and information by calling NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47, a free service that is available 24 hours a day. You can speak to a nurse who can assess you over the telephone.

You can also learn how to look after your health, with a little help by visiting the NHS Direct Wales website.

Likewise, you can find a doctor, dentist or sexual health clinic in your area by using our Local Services Search.

If you are feeling unwell with dental pain, a cough/cold, vomiting and more you can use our symptom checkers.

You can also Ask us a Health Question online.

You can also follow NHS Direct on Twitter @NHSDirectWales and on Facebook.