Financial support for COVID-19 related travel
Last updated: 07/09/2021 09:25
We will help cover your coronavirus (COVID-19) related travel costs where quarantining and/or testing is required on arrival in the UK.
This support is available to new and returning international students who will be travelling to Cardiff for the start of the 2021 academic year.
It's essential that you retain your COVID-19 related receipts and travel documents so we can process your refund as quickly as possible.
You will be able to claim a refund for your hotel costs as long as:
- you have departed from a red-list country requiring mandatory hotel quarantine at the time of arrival
- you have completed the mandatory hotel quarantine
- you complete the refund form and submit your related receipt. Details of how to access and complete the refund form will be available shortly.
- you have paid at least your first tuition fee instalment (or provided official confirmation of sponsorship or scholarship funding)
- you submit your refund request within 2 months of completing the hotel quarantine
- this is the first claim made to the University in relation to hotel quarantining costs this academic year.
Departing from a red list country
If you are departing from a red list country and a 10-day hotel quarantine period is required, we will reimburse you the cost of the hotel stay – currently £2,285.
If your initial country of departure is on the amber/green list but you fly via a country on the red list and therefore require a 10-day hotel quarantine, you will not be eligible for your costs to be reimbursed.
Departing from an amber list country
If you are departing from an amber list country, we will reimburse you for costs incurred to take COVID-19 travel tests (up to the value of £210) which must be taken on day 2 and day 8 of your arrival in the UK.
We are working with the Welsh Government to assess quarantine arrangements for amber list students but we will provide you with support for the duration of your quarantine.
Departing from a green list country
If you are departing from a green list country, we will cover the costs of your required COVID-19 tests.
Refunds will be processed after your arrival in the UK, shortly after you have submitted a claim and will be paid into your UK bank account.
If you subsequently go on to withdraw from your programme, reimbursed costs will be deducted from any fee refund that may be applicable.
If you book but do not use the hotel quarantine, you should seek a refund of your costs directly from the booking service.
No claims will be accepted after 30 June 2022.