Skip to main content

Visas and immigration

If you are a national of a country that is not within the European Economic Area (EEA) and you do not have a passport issued by an EEA country, it is very likely that you will need to apply for a Student route visa before you leave your home country.

The majority of international students need a student visa. Students who do not need a student visa are largely nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

The UKVI webpages will determine whether you need to obtain a visa before you travel to the UK. It also contains guidance on the type of visa you might need.

If you need help determining your fee status as an international student, you can refer to the regulations governing fee classification.

Before you apply for your visa

Information about who can help, which visa you should apply for and when, as well as how to get the documents translated.

Applying for your visa

Information on our visa application guidelines, if you will need an interview and how long your visa will take to arrive.

Once you have your visa

Find out what to do next, when can you come to the UK, how long can you study and how long your visa is valid for.

Extending a visa

Information about extending your visa if you're already a student in the UK, what to do if you plan to go home for the holidays and who to contact for help.

Collecting your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Information about how and when to collect your BRP once you're in the UK.

Bringing your family

Advice on bringing family members and the Immigration Health Surcharge.