Skip to main content

Travelling to the UK

There are a number of airports in the UK to choose from depending on which country you are flying from. Please check the latest government advice before you travel.

When you arrive in the UK, you will need to self-isolate for the first 10 days unless you're arriving from an exempt country. Find out what this means if you are self-isolating in University accommodation.

Travel guidance may vary between England and Wales. You should:

If you’re travelling from an exempt country you will not need to self-isolate. You should check the list of exempt countries before you travel.

If you travel from an exempt country but have been in a country that is not exempt within the last 10 days, you will need to self-isolate for the remainder of the 10 days since you were last in a non-exempt country.

When to arrive

If you have applied for University accommodation, you will be able to move into your room in University residences during the enrolment period. You might be required to self isolate when you arrive, for more information head to the self-isolating pages.

If you are planning on living in private accommodation, we recommend you arrange this before you arrive.

Flying to the UK

There are a number of airports in the UK to choose from. Depending on which country you are flying from, we would recommend one of the following.

It is approximately 150 miles (240 kilometres) from London to Cardiff, and 50 miles (80 kilometres) from Bristol to Cardiff.

Most of our international students arrive at Heathrow Airport, which is around 18 miles/29 km southwest of London and around four hours from Cardiff. Most international airlines will fly into Heathrow and therefore usually has the most competitive fares.

If you're coming from mainland Europe, you may find Bristol Airport more convenient, as it is 50 miles/80 km from Cardiff. If you are arriving during the day, it will take around two hours to travel from Bristol airport.

You can arrive at Cardiff Airport if you fly with KLM airlines via Amsterdam Schipol Airport.

Declaring money

If you're arriving in the UK from a country outside the European Union (EU), you must declare any cash that equals the value of 10,000 Euros or more to customs officers.

Cash not only means currency notes and coins, but also banker’s drafts and cheques of any kind, including travellers’ cheques. You will find the relevant forms to fill out at ports and airports.

Next steps

Clearing immigration

What you'll need to bring, which channel to pass through in the customs hall, and what to do if problems arise.

Travelling to Cardiff

We are located in the centre of Cardiff, which is easily accessible from London airports with onward connections.

Coach collection service

Our coach collection service is for new international and EU students.