Diploma in Police Interpreting (DPI)
We are an Examination Centre for the Chartered Institute of Linguists’ Diploma in Police Interpreting.
Both internal and external candidates can sit the DPI examination at Cardiff University provided the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) have enough teams of assessors available for their language.
Otherwise the candidates have to be examined in London for the oral part. The written units can always be taken in Cardiff University.
We cannot accept responsibility for the information contained in this page. All details should be confirmed with the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
Candidates are required to join CIOL as an IoLET affiliate in order to register for this exam. Affiliate membership offers additional study resources, along with other benefits.
If you are interested in sitting your examination at Cardiff University you need to:
- Contact us to confirm registration details.
- Send your Registration form to Cardiff for processing. This will then be sent on to the Chartered Institute of Linguists who will collect payment.
- Payment of the centre fee is arranged directly with Cardiff University and separately from the registration above.
- Unit 01 (Level 6): Interpret consecutively two-way in a police context and take a police statement.
- Unit 02 (Level 6): Interpret simultaneously – whispered – from English in a police context.
- Unit 03 (Level 6): Provide a sight translation from English in a police context.
- Unit 04 (Level 5): Translate a police statement into English.
- Unit 05 (Level 5): Translate from English in a police context.