Library services available during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
Find out what has changed due to coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to access our services during this time.
Access to our libraries and services
We're working hard to provide library services whilst ensuring the safety and welfare of our library users and staff. The nature of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic means plans may need to be revised to adhere to changing government guidelines in the UK, Wales or in the Higher Education sector specifically.
All Cardiff University libraries are currently closed, including Special Collections and Archives, the European Documentation Centre and Print Services. Two hospital-based libraries will remain open for NHS users, with remote support. These libraries are are:
- Velindre NHS Trust
- Archie Cochrane.
We are currently unable to offer the following services:
- visiting or studying in our libraries
- membership to our libraries (except Staff at Cardiff and Vale UHB, Velindre University NHS Trust and Health Education and Improvement Wales (HEIW))
- walk in access to electronic resources service
- SCONUL Access scheme
Information for members of University libraries
Due to these exceptional circumstances:
- loan periods have been extended
- we will waive any library fines
- you should retain items that you currently have on loan as you will not be able to return books to us unless you are in Cardiff (see Returning your items).
Click and Collect service
- Log in to LibrarySearch - you can request up to 6 items from any Cardiff University library at a time.
- You'll receive an email when your requests are available for collection.
- Click on the link in the email to book your collection time - requests will be held for 5 days.
Collecting your request
- You will need to wear a face-covering when you enter the library (unless you are exempt).
- Please bring your ID card or proof of your booking.
- To avoid queuing, please arrive at the time of your booking.
- You must maintain a two metre distance between yourself and other individuals wherever possible and follow the designated routes around the building.
- Requests will be issued to your account before you arrive and staff will pass your requested items to you.
If you are currently unable to visit the library in person, you can nominate someone to collect your requests on your behalf. Please add this information when you make your booking.
We are planning to introduce this service to additional library sites in the future: please check this page for further updates.
Returning your items
We have extended the due date of all books.
You can return books in the return book bins at the following locations:
- the rear of the Arts and Social Studies Library, opposite the John Percival building
- Health Library, near the main entrance of the Cochrane Building
- Trevithick Library, to the left of the Trevithick Building entrance.
Post your books into the return book bin. When returning books, please observe social distancing rules. Books will remain on your library account while they are quarantined.