Visiting scholars programme
Cardiff School of Law and Politics is committed to interdisciplinary, critical, and doctrinal research across a range of topics relevant to our disciplines. Our visiting scholar programmes value high calibre, established and emerging, visiting scholars who can make a strong and significant contribution to our School. We hope participants will act as ambassadors for the School both during and after a visit.
We give preference to applications for visiting scholarships of up to three months, though we will consider applications for longer periods in order to allow you to engage in research exchange with academics working in related fields.
Successful candidates will be able to use Cardiff University's online resources and join the School's online activities and present their work through its virtual collaborative networks. You will be expected to pursue a specific research project while within the School and to deliver and participate in research seminars. You will normally be expected to make at least one presentation to staff, often in the form of a seminar, and are encouraged to participate in other School activities.
What we offer
The opportunity to pursue a specific and independent research project, and to engage with our research activities via our:
- Visiting PhD Programme, open to applications from PhD candidates registered at other institutions
- Visiting Scholar Programme, open to experienced academics employed at other institutions
You will be able to discuss your research with your academic host and:
- engage with our research community
- present your work through our collaborative networks
- attend our research seminar series
- access University Library facilities, including borrowing rights
- access the University IT network (for visits over 8 weeks)
- attend specific undergraduate and/or postgraduate taught (Master’s) modules offered by the School, subject to discussion and approval.
We do not provide financial support for travel, accommodation, or subsistence, or formal supervision for PhD students.
The Visiting PhD Programme
If you are a PhD candidate registered at another institution our Visiting PhD programme enables you to independently develop your thesis alongside Cardiff PhD candidates, and within our academic community. You may also be able to attend School run training and presentations and present your work at a School symposium.
The Visiting PhD programme admits visitors twice each year, in October and January. You must plan to visit for at least three months, and for no longer than six months.
How to apply to our Visiting PhD Programme
Application is accepted in response to formal calls only. Calls are advertised via this page (usually in May and July each year). Successful applicants must register as Cardiff University visiting students – we will support you with this if we invite you to join the programme. To apply, please email LAWPL-VS@cardiff.ac.uk.
The Visiting Scholar Programme
If you are employed on an academic contract at another institution, participation in our visitor scholar programme will enable you to engage in research exchange with academics working in related fields while pursuing a specific research project.
Applications are accepted throughout the year, for visits between the months of October and May. Your application must be received no later than six months before your intended visit start date. We prefer visits between one week and six months’ duration, but may consider applications for longer periods, by exception.
How to apply to our visiting scholar programme
Please submit the School of Law and Politics visiting scholar application form to LAWPL-VS@cardiff.ac.uk, with the following documents:
- a research proposal (max 1,000 words), which should define the aims of the research to be undertaken in Cardiff, its methods, and any proposed outcomes, as clearly as possible
- an academic Curriculum Vitae (CV) (no more than five A4 pages)
- a letter (in English) from your parent organisation approving leave (and, where appropriate, funding) for your visit
Please, download the Visiting Scholar Application form below:
Visiting scholar application form
If you would like to apply for our visiting scholar programme, please download and complete the application form below.
Completed applications should be sent to:
The Law and Politics Visiting Scholars Team
We apply our research to important challenges to generate improvements across diverse areas.