Prepare for your test
There are a number of ways to prepare for your IELTS test.
We advise that you prepare thoroughly for the test. Some Universities and English Language Schools offer IELTS preparation courses. There is also a wide range of published preparation material available from reputable bookshops and the Cambridge University press website.
Road to IELTS
The Road to IELTS online preparation package offers 30 hours of free online tuition to help you prepare for the test.
After registering for an IELTS test, you will have access to three units, each based on common IELTS topics and covering all four sections of the exam: reading, listening, writing and speaking.
The course allows you to:
- practise IELTS listening tasks under timed conditions
- watch videos of sample speaking tests, highlighting good practice
- develop vocabulary and techniques for writing tasks
- work on authentic texts for the reading test
- increase your vocabulary in topic areas commonly covered in the IELTS test.
Understanding IELTS: Techniques for English Language Tests is a free interactive online course developed by the British Council.
The course will help anyone learning English, especially those preparing for the IELTS test.
Each week will focus on a component of the IELTS test (listening, reading, writing and speaking) and include exercises to check you’re on track with the four English skills.
By the end of the Understanding IELTS course, you will:
- be familiar with all parts of the IELTS test
- have some useful tips to help you achieve your IELTS goals
- understand how the IELTS test is assessed
- have an opportunity to have your written and spoken English assessed by other learners.
Download the IELTS Prep App
You can download an app to help you prepare for your IELTS test.
This app allows you to:
- take listening and speaking practice tests and find out how well prepared you are
- improve your grammar skills and develop your range of vocabulary
- see helpful tips to make your whole test experience easier.
IELTS Progress Check
Take an official IELTS practice test online.
IELTS Progress Check is an official, online practice test. Completed tests are marked by IELTS trained and qualified markers and you will receive an official feedback report, including an indicative overall test band score as well as a band score for each section of the test.
English language courses
There are a number of English language courses at Cardiff University.
For more information about IELTS preparation courses, please email us.