Public Lecture: The Legitimacy of Global Social Indicators
This event has ended.
- Email: email@example.com
Add to calendar
Speaker: Professor David Nelken (Kings College, London)
Abstract: In this lecture Professor Nelken will examine the legitimacy of Global Social Indicators that purport to rank comparatively matters as different as respect for the rule of law, corporate responsibility, financial trustworthiness- and the relative quality of universities! Often they are intended to have – and sometimes do have- important consequences for those being ranked. Does this make them law- like? Can they be regulated and should they be? How can those who audit us be made accountable?
- American Sociological Association Distinguished Scholar Award (1985)
- Sellin-Glueck International award of the American Criminological Society (2009)
- Podgorecki Distinguished senior scholar award from the International Sociological Association- for Sociology of Law (2011)
- Law & Society Association, USA, International Scholar Award (2013)
- Fellow of the UK Academy of Social Sciences
- SCOPUS advisory board- responsible for evaluating law journals worldwide