An Introduction to Dermoscopy
Dermoscopy is a non-invasive, widely used diagnostic tool that aids the diagnosis of skin lesions and is proven to increase the accuracy of melanoma diagnosis.
Ar gyfer pwy mae hwn
This course is designed specifically for doctors who are involved in the care of dermatology patients with skin lesions, and who are interested in the management of benign and malignant skin lesions, or who wish to learn about dermoscopy to improve their skill in the diagnosis of melanoma.
Beth fyddwch yn ei ddysgu
This programme aims to develop competency in using a dermatoscope to:
- differentiate melanocytic from non-melanocytic skin lesions
- differentiate malignant from non-malignant skin lesions
- assist in the early diagnosis of melanoma
- assist in management decisions relating to pigmented skin lesions
- assist in the diagnosis of some non-melanocytic skin lesions.
Pynciau dan sylw
Six topics have been written by leading dermatologists in the field of dermoscopy. Participants are expected to complete a topic every two weeks.
Features of the course include:
- detailed topic materials with specific aims and objectives
- “Virtual Dermatoscope” featuring a large bank of dermoscopic images
- clinical cases and interactive quizzes (with immediate performance feedback) for each module
- live interactive expert lectures using Adobe Connect© software
- group discussion forums led by expert tutors
- collaborative learning is strongly encouraged
- participants will be able to discuss difficult or interesting cases that they encounter in their own practice (camera recommended)
- tutors will also share cases from their clinics
- forums aim to enable students to learn from each other and receive feedback from tutors
Each topic is accompanied by a set of multiple choice questions. Participants are required to complete the questions before progressing to the next topic. Participants who meet these requirements will be eligible for the final examination.
At the end of the course an online examination will provide the basis for the summative assessment. Participants who are successful in completing the final examination will be awarded a certificate of completion.
Applicants must fulfil all of the following criteria to be considered eligible for this course:
- hold a medical degree
- see patients with skin lesions regularly
- have an excellent command of English
- own or have access to a computer with high speed internet
You do not need to have completed a previous dermatology or dermoscopy course but some knowledge of dermatology is required in order to participate effectively.
Access to a dermatoscope is highly recommended in order to participate in this course. Access to a camera to share your dermatoscopic images with the online community is also recommended but not essential.