Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
We are proud to be celebrating our first 100 years of teaching and research excellence.
Much has changed in the profession of Pharmacy since we first began teaching in October 1919. Yet, what hasn't altered is our determination and commitment to enhance the profession, meet the changing healthcare needs of the population and improve patients’ lives.
For one hundred years, we have produced excellent, career-ready, graduates, and have innovated for the benefit of the profession. Today, we are as committed to those objectives as ever.
So, whilst we take great pride in celebrating our achievements over the past century, we aim to use our heritage to help shape the future of pharmacy in the UK and globally.
Between 2019 and 2020, we will be hosting numerous events to celebrate this important milestone. We want to show our appreciation to everyone who has been part of our story so far.
These events will include:
- the Cardiff School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Centenary Stakeholder Conference
- "A step back in time" - a day of celebration for current students
- Alumni Centenary celebration events
- current staff Centenary celebration
- the Cardiff School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences Centenary Student Ball.
We'll be posting more information about each event as the year progresses.
Our history in brief
In October 1919, the Welsh College of Pharmacy opened as a department of the new Cardiff Technical College. In that first year, 88 students were taught by two members of staff in two lecture rooms and two laboratories in what is now the Bute Building. They could study full or part-time for diplomas and certificates set by the Pharmaceutical Society and the Society of Apothecaries. The School moved quickly to offer the external University of London BPharm degree from 1927, and established a University of Wales degree from 1936.
By the late 1950s, the School was outgrowing its facilities, and in 1961 the New Building (now Redwood) was officially opened by HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. Originally home to Chemistry, Biology and Navigation alongside Pharmacy, it offered an opportunity to increase the number of students and staff, and to make significant developments in teaching and research. From its first PhD students in 1961 to ground-breaking discoveries in more recent decades, the School’s scientific endeavours have continued to underpin undergraduate teaching.
Key themes throughout the School’s history are the support of the local pharmacy community and the great affection with which it’s held by past students. Both mean that for one hundred years, the School has been central to Welsh pharmacy.