Yr Athro Raymond Loveridge
I am currently a Visiting Scholar at Saỉd Business School, the University of Oxford having been a Research Fellow there between 1998 and 2015. I was a Director of the MSc (Management Research) Programme at the School between 2003 and 2006. I am a Professor Emeritus at Aston University.
I was Educated at Cheltenham Grammar School, Ruskin College, Oxford, Churchill College, Cambridge and the London School of Economics. Awarded a LittD by Cambridge University in 2000.
Formerly an apprenticed design engineer at Gloster Aircraft Ltd.
Academically, I have held tenured positions at the London School of Economics, at London Business School and at Aston Business School where I was Head of the Strategic Management Division and for a time Director of the Research Institute. I have taught as Visiting Professor at Beijing Institute of Technology; Fudan University, Shanghai; Doshisha University, Kyoto; Helwan University, Egypt; the British University in Cairo: Nottingham University in Malaysia; McMasters University Ontario; INSEAD and ESSEC, Paris and at the University of Mannheim.
I have, singly or jointly, been awarded a number of national and international research grants including an ESRC Programme Grant, an EC programme grant, a joint award from the ASEAN-EU Management Centre Brunei and a Leverhulme Research Fellowship.
Over 2007-2009 I acted as in situ consultant to the UNDP programme of university curriculum development in Middle Eastern countries focussing on Syria. I was chief editor of the journal Human Relations from 1989 to 2000 and was editorial advisor of Asian Business and Management until recently. I also review for a range of journals.
Book publications include
- ‘Information Technology in European Services’ with John Child (1990)
- ‘The Strategic Management of Technological Innovation’ with M.Pitt (1990).
Book chapters include
- ‘Human Resource Management in the Multinational Enterprise’ with M.Casson and S.Singh in Internationalisation: Process, Context and Markets, G.Hooley, R.Loveridge and D.Wilson (eds) 1998
- ‘Institutional Perspectives on Business Strategy’ in D.Faulkner and A. Campbell (eds) The Oxford Handbook on Strategy (2003, 2006)
- ‘Embedding Multinationals’ in J.Dunning and Tsai-Mei Lin (eds) Multinational Enterprises and Emerging Challenges of the 21st Century, Cheltenham UK: Edward Elgar (2007)
- ‘The Multinational as a layered network of learning’ in S.Collison and G. Morgan (eds), Images of the Multinational, London UK:Wiley (2009)
- ‘Transnationals’ in G.Ritzer (ed) Blackwell Handbook of Sociology, 2nd Edn, 2017.
Journal articles include
- ‘The Globalization of the Telecommunications Sector: the dynamics of firms, governments and technologies’, Competition and Change, 1999
- ‘Embedding the Multinational Enterprise: bridging internal and external networks in transitional institutional contexts’ Asian Business and Management,4, 2005
- ‘Developing Institutions-‘Crony Capitalism’ and National Capabilities: a European Perspective, Asian Business and Management, 5, 2006.
I am currently preparing a critique of neo-institutionalist approaches to developmental theory.