Yr Athro Leighton Andrews
Professor of Practice in Public Service Leadership and Innovation
Leighton Andrews is Professor of Practice in Public Service Leadership and Innovation at Cardiff Business School.
Formerly Minister for Education and Skills and Minister for Public Services in Carwyn Jones's Welsh Labour Governments from 2009-16, a Deputy Minister in Rhodri Morgan's One Wales Government from 2007-9 and Assembly Member for the Rhondda from 2003-16. Prior to his election to the National Assembly in 2003, Leighton had had a successful career in the private, public and voluntary sectors. He was the BBC's Head of Public Affairs in London from 1993-1996 during its Charter Renewal campaign He ran a number of businesses in the public relations field and set up his own business after leaving the BBC. He has chaired the Digital News Taskforce for the Presiding Officer of the National Assembly since November 2016. He is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Public Affairs.
- BA Hons, English and History, University of Wales, 1978
- MA History, University of Sussex, 1980
Leighton has written for an extensive range of publications in both print and digital format, including the Guardian, the Irish Times, New Statesman, Times Higher Education Supplement, the Western Mail, The New European, Golwg, Agenda, ClickonWales, and many others. He has broadcast regularly for a wide range of media outlets on both television and radio. Recent examples are listed on his personal website www.leightonandrews.com
Safleoedd academaidd blaenorol
- 2004-2016, Honorary Professor, JOMEC, Cardiff University
- 2002-2003, Lecturer in Cardiff University School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies (JOMEC)
- 1997 Visiting Professor, University of Westminster
Ymrwymiadau siarad cyhoeddus
- March 2017 Central South Education Consortium
- November 2016, Velindre Hospital Trust Leadership Conference
- July 2016, Incerts annual education conference chair
- Numerous speeches asnd lectures as a Welsh Government Minister prior to that.
- Public Service Leadership and Innovation
- Governance of Devolution
- Public policy-making