Dr Robert McAndrew
Cyfarwyddwr Astudiaethau IsraddedigArweinydd Thema ar gyfer Addysg Ddeintyddol, Ysgolheictod ac Arloesedd, Uwch-ddarlithydd Clinigol ac Ymgynghorydd Anrhydeddus
Dental Education, Scholarship and Innovation
- I am a Clinical Senior Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry and currently the Head of the Dental Education, Scholarship and Innovation Theme within the Dental School, the Senior Admissions Tutor, Topic Lead for Integrated Restorative Dental Care and an Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry.
- As a Clinical Academic I am heavily involved in the training and supervision of dental students and dentists in training.
- My most current research interest in in the field of Dental Admissions and the selection of Dental Students; particularly the use on multiple mini interviews.
- I am actively involved with the Research Group of UKCAT having previously engaged with the Test Development Group and sit on the Board of UKCAT.
- In addition to the many academic duties I have to perform as a part of my job I am also the authorised BDA Salaried Primary Dental Care Dental Services representative and sit on the associated Clinical Academic Committee for Hospital Dental Services.
- I am external examiner at Newcastle and Sheffield Universities.
- In addition to the above I am a self-professed golf fanatic and despite my growing years can still boast a single figure handicap.
- I am married and the proud father of 3 grown up children.
Innovation and Engagement
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery, Dundee (1986)
- Master of Dental Science, University of Wales College Of Medicine (1999)
- Doctor of Philosophy, Cardiff University (2009)
- Diploma in Restorative Dentistry
- Masters in Restorative Dentistry
- Fellowship in Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Intercollegiate Fellowship of Dental Surgery
- PGC in Higher Education Leadership (with Distinction), University of Leicester ( 2006)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2007)
- Leading and Managing Teams, Institute of Leadership and Management, (2008)
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Member of the Roal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- British Dental Association
- British Society for Dental Research
- British Society of Prosthodontics
- International Association for Dental Research
- Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland
Safleoedd academaidd blaenorol
- 2001 - present: Clinical Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry, University of Cardiff
- 1999-2001: Locum Senior Lecturer in Resorative Dentistry, University of Wales College of Medicine
- 1996-1999: Senior Registrar in Restorative Dentistry, Cardiff and the Vale NHS Trust
- 1993-1996: Lecturer in Periodontology, University of Wales College of Medicine
- 1990-1993: Registrar in Conservative Dentistry, Dundee Dental School
- 1987-1989: Senior House Officer, University on Manchester
- 1986-1987: House officer in Prosthetics and Gerontology, Univeristy of Dundee
- My main duties are associated with the clinical chairside teaching of undergraduate dental students on the Dental Education Clinics of the Dental Hospital and in all aspects of Restorative Dentistry. I have a particular interest in the treatment and management of the edentulous space and decision making in clinical treatment. My Masters was concerned with the use of post crown restorations in the treatment of root filled teeth and my PhD was conducted into the decision making processes involved in the replacement of dental fillings.
- I am the Topic Lead for Integrated Restorative Dental Care which brings together the teaching of the disciplines that are the mainstay of Restorative Dentistry; Endodontics, Fixed and Removable Prosthodontics, Periodontology. Prior to my appointment as a Consultant I undertook clinical training in Dundee, Manchester and Cardiff and was also a Clinical Lecturer in Periodontology in Cardiff before my appointment as a Senior Lecturer.
- Amongst my many examination roles within the dental school from writing, to standard setting and marking of papers for all years of the curriculum I am the Lead for the Year 4 OSCE examination which forms a key part in the successful progression of dental students to their final year of study.
- My postgraduate teaching responsibilities centre on my Educational Supervisors role and Consultant supervision to 2 Dental Core Trainees in Restorative Dentistry at Cardiff.
- I have served as an external and internal examiner for the General Dental Council Overseas Registration Examination (previously IQE), the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Glasgow (Part 1 and Part 2 MFDS). I am currently and examiner for the Intermediate Oral and Dental Care Examinations at Sheffield university and have recently been appointed as external examiner at Newcastle University.
- I am currently the Head of the Dental Education, Scholarship and Innovation Theme which is one of the 3 main research strands of the Dental School. This theme is an exciting and developing theme which is comprised of many of the Clinical Academics who teach at Cardiff along with our many General Dental Practitioners who are involved with clinical and simulated clinical practice teaching.
- As evidenced by my peer reviewed publications my research profile is best described as diverse. My most recent and continuing research interest is in Dental School Admissions processes and in particular the use of the multiple mini interview (MMI) as a tool for the selection of dental students. I am not only interested in the MMI as a selection tool but how it could be used as a marker of progression and how students perform throughout their undergraduate dental careers.
- My current research intersts relate to
- how contextually flagged applicants progress through dental school
- the values and preceptions that staff and students place on the multiple mini interview process
- As an institutional member of ADEE and member of IADR these fora are often used to highlight my current and future research developments.
- The replacement of plastic restorations in clinical dental practice and the effect that a simple training programme can have on the process
- Biomechanics of post crown systems
- Assessment of the microbial contamination of sporting mouthguards after use
- A qualitative and quantitative analysis of how enhanced aesthetics affects patient satisfaction of complete dentures