Ewch i’r prif gynnwys
 Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams

Myfyriwr ymchwil, Yr Ysgol Ffiseg a Seryddiaeth

Email:
thomas.williams@astro.cf.ac.uk
Location:
1.06, 53 The Parade, 52 The Parade, Caerdydd, CF24 3AB

Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

Although stars make up around 99% of the mass of a galaxy, the effect of the other 1% (the interstellar medium, or ISM) on the stars and their starlight is immense. Stars are believed to form out of dense molecular hydrogen, and we see strong correlations between the amount of gas in a galaxy and its associated star formation rate. Interstellar dust also plays a role in shaping what we see in a galaxy -- this dust aborbs, processes and reemits light from stars at much longer wavelengths. The dust emission contributes some 50% of the total luminosity of a galaxy, despite only making up 1% of the ISM, by mass.

With the advent of new, higher resolution instruments, we can now probe properties down to ~100pc scales in galaxies (which correspond roughly to the size of a Giant Molecular Cloud, the birthplace of massive stars). My work focusses on seeing if the relationships we see averaged over galactic scales still apply at these regions, where we begin to resolve individual star forming regions and clouds. How these relationships evolve with scale can teach us about the nature of galaxy evolution, and help to localise it to particular regimes in a galaxy.

Dysgu

  • PX1122 (Mathematical Methods for Physicists) - 2016-17
  • PX1125 (Mathematical Practice for Physical Sciences) - 2017-18
  • PX2139 (Observational Techniques in Astronomy) - 2017-18
  • PX2134 (Structured programming) - 2018-19
Walter Gear

Yr Athro Walter Gear

Dean for Postgraduate Research, College of Physical Sciences & Engineering

2019

2018

Proffiliau allanol