Myfyriwr ymchwil, Conservation, Ysgol Hanes, Archaeoleg a Chrefydd
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
- BA, Classical Archaeology, McGill University, Canada
- BSc, Archaeological Conservation, UCL
- Sangouard, Elsa, Nordgren, Eric, Spohn, Ralph, Brunke, Kathleen, and David Krop, 2015. Evaluation of Sodium Nitrite as a Corrosion Inhibitor for USS Monitor Artifacts. Studies in Conservation 60 253-266
- Nordgren Eric, 2014. Bringing an Old Ship to New Audiences, The USS Monitor Conservation Project. In: Emily Williams ed. The Public Face of Conservation. London, Archetype Books .
- Nordgren, Eric, 2010. Conservation of Iron Artifacts from the USS Monitor (1862). In: Gerhard Eggert and Britta Schmutzler, eds., Archaeological Iron Conservation Colloquium, State Academy of Art and Design Stuttgart, Germany 24-26 June 2010. Staatliche Akademie der Bildenen Kunst, Stuttgart, 2010
- Krop, David, and Nordgren, Eric, 2010. Dissassembly of Complex Mechanical Components from the USS Monitor. in: Metal 2010 Preprints of the Interim Meeting of the ICOM-CC Metals Working Group, October 11-15 Charleston, South Carolina.
- Nordgren, Eric, 2010. Renovation of Conservation Facilities at the Egyptian Museum, Cairo, Egypt: A Collaborative Effort in: Emily Williams and Claire Peachey, eds. Conservation of Archaeological Materials, Current Trends and Future Directions, Williamsburg, Virginia, Nov. 13-17, 2005. 225-230. British Archaeological Reports, International Series 2116 Archaeopress, Oxford, 2010
- Nordgren, Eric and Secord, Erin, 2009. Metallurgy of the Monitor. in: Luke Brewer, et al, eds. Proceedings of the Microscopy and Microanalysis 2009 Meeting, July 26-30 2009, Richmond, Virginia. Microscopy Society of America, Cambridge University Press, 2009
- Nordgren Eric, David Krop, Erin Secord, Elsa Sangouard, Michael Saul, Gary Paden, and Gerry Hanley, 2009. USS Monitor Conservation: Preserving a Marvel of 19th Century Technology. in: Ryhl-Svendsen, Morten et al, eds. Incredible Industry: preserving the evidence of industrial society, Nordic Association of Conservators 18th Conference, 25-27 May 2009: proceedings Nordisk Konservator Forbund, Danmark, 2009
- Nordgren, Eric, Goncalves, Pedro, et al, 2007. Corrosion Assessment and Implementation of Techniques to Mitigate Corrosion of Large Artifacts from the USS Monitor (1862). in: Degrigny, Christian, ed., Metal 07 : Interim meeting of the ICOM-CC Metal WG, Amsterdam, 17-21 September 2007. ICOM-CC. Metal Working Group, 2007.
- Nordgren Eric, Emmerson, Nicola, and David Watkinson, 2014. Mill scale on historic wrought iron: impact on corrosion and coating performance. Presentation at Eurocorr 2014 European Corrosion Congress, 9-12 September 2014, Pisa, Italy.
- Emmerson, Nicola, and Eric Nordgren, 2014. Mill Scale on historic wrought Iron: characterisation and impact on corrosion behaviour. Poster presentation at International Symposium on Archaeometry (ISA 2014) Los Angeles, California.
- Nordgren, Eric, Dennis, Ian, and Niall Sharples, 2014. Metal Rivets in Norse Antler Comb Manufacture at Bornais, South Uist, Western Isles of Scotland. Poster presentation at International Symposium on Archaeometry (ISA 2014) Los Angeles, California.
- Nordgren Eric, 2013. Does Akaganeite Transform During Electrolytic Reduction? Poster Presentation at the ICOM-CC Metals Working Group Triennial Conference, Edinburgh, UK
- Nordgren Eric and David Watkinson, 2013. The influence of slag inclusions on corrosion of wrought iron. Paper presented at Eurocorr 2013, 1-5 September Estoril, Portugal
- Nordgren, Eric, and David Watkinson 2013. Exploring the impact of slag on the corrosion of archaeological wrought iron. Poster Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works, Indianapolis AIC 2013.
- Nordgren, Eric, 2013. Conservation of small mechanical metal objects from marine archaeological sites. Paper presented at the triennial meeting of the Institute of Conservation, Glasgow 10-12 April, 2013
Areas of interest:
- Archaeological conservation practice
- Conservation of marine archaeological artefacts
- Corrosion of archaeological and historic metals
- Marine and terrestrial archaeology
The effect of metallurgical structure on the chloride-induced corrosion of archaeological wrought iron
The contribution of chloride salts to the corrosion and destruction of archaeological wrought iron artefacts has been well documented in the archaeological conservation literature. The effect of metallurgical structure and composition on the chloride-induced corrosion of wrought iron is less well understood. The metallurgy of iron is readily evaluated and may have important implications for its post-excavation preservation, particularly when the artefacts to be preserved are numerous or very large and complete removal of chloride is practically difficult.
The aim of this study is to study the metallurgy of a large number of wrought iron archaeological artefacts and examine relationships with their chloride content and distribution, as well as post-excavation and post-treatment corrosion. The data obtained will inform practical decisions for preserving historic iron artefacts either by chloride extraction or by environmental control.
Start Date: January 2012