Safer learning communities
27 Tachwedd 2013
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
Creating safe learning communities on Welsh campuses will be the focal point of a national conference held this Friday (29 November) in the University's Hadyn Ellis Building.
- Organised by the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) and hosted by the University, the 'Safe Campus Communities Conference' will advise attendees how to identify, engage and protect students who may be vulnerable and ensure that freedom of speech remains at the heart of Welsh higher education.
The meeting will provide opportunities for raising awareness of core systems, protocols and policies impacting on the safeguarding and well-being of students on and off campus, and will highlight best practice regionally and UK-wide.
Chairing proceedings will be Barrie Phillips, the All-Wales HE/FE Prevent Coordinator. He said:
"Safe Campus Communities focuses on the well-being and safeguarding of all those on and off campus. The conference underpins the reality that we all have a part to play – whether policy-maker, lecturer, counsellor, warden, facilities or law enforcement – and draws on experts and best practice to promote a collective approach."
Also speaking at the conference will be Professor Elizabeth Treasure, Deputy Vice-Chancellor for the University. She said: "The University is pleased to be able to work with Welsh Government and the Home Office on this important event. At Cardiff University we place a priority on the sense of community on our campuses and on student well-being".
Confirmed Speakers and Breakout Group Leads include:
· Dr Mansur Ali: Jameel scholar, Cardiff University
· Jo Attwooll: Policy adviser, Universities UK
· Alan Evans, Senior Research, Training and Evaluation Consultant, Cardiff University
· Lin Ashby & Becky Roberts: Charity Commission
· Dr Matthew Feldman: Co-Director, Centre for Fascist Studies, Teeside University
· Professor Helen Fenwick: Director, Human Rights Centre, Durham University
· Dr Paul Fitzpatrick: Chaplain-psychologist, Cardiff Metropolitan University
· DCI Mike Mantripp: WECTU Strategic Prevent Lead, Wales
· Sarah Huws-Davies: Director of Student Services, Swansea University
· Laura Jones: Muslim chaplain, Cardiff Metropolitan University
· Professor Michael Levi: Professor of Criminology, Cardiff University
· Gary Loke: Head of Policy, Equality Challenge Unit
· Roger Morgan: Chair, Association of University Chief Security Officers
· Professor Elizabeth Treasure : Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Cardiff University
· Rev Mick Williams: Senior chaplain, Staffordshire University