Cardiff Law School hosts prestigious Court of Faculties hearing
20 April 2015
Cardiff Law School was honoured this month to host a hearing of the Court of Faculties of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The Faculty Office exercises a disciplinary function over Notaries. A Notary is a lawyer or person with legal training who is licensed by the government to perform acts in legal affairs, in particular witnessing signatures on documents.
The Court of Faculties of the Archbishop of Canterbury is an ancient jurisdiction. Historically, the Court sat at Doctors Commons which was disbanded in the 19th century but since 1920, the Court has sat at the Faculty Office in Westminster. Therefore, it is thought that the sitting that took place in Cardiff this month is the first sitting of the Court outside London and certainly the first ever in Wales.
The Faculty Office has expressed its gratitude to the Law School and all staff who made the hearing possible especially colleagues at the Centre for Professional Legal Studies.