GW4 Crucible 2020
14 November 2019
GW4 Crucible 2020: ‘Interdisciplinary Approaches to Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR)’
We are facing a rise in the number of bacteria becoming resistant to existing antibiotics without an increase in new antibiotics or new treatments. The GW4 Crucible offers the opportunity for future research leaders to come together to generate innovative, multifaceted responses to address the global challenge of antimicrobial resistance (AMR). Tackling this global challenge requires interdisciplinary endeavours which harness the expertise of anthropologists through to zoologists.
GW4 Crucible is an excellent opportunity for you to consider new approaches to your research and its impact, to enhance your leadership potential and career development, and to network with peers and experts from across GW4 and beyond.
Whilst AMR undoubtedly entails biological processes, the context which governs the action of these biological mechanisms is influenced by social, cultural, political, and economic processes. Biomedical and clinical expertise alone cannot tackle AMR and multidimensional approaches are needed to address the challenge. Crucible 2020 will foster conversations and collaborations between future research leaders across a broad range of disciplines. If you are a GW4 researcher with an interest in or expertise applicable to addressing AMR, we want to hear from you.
The programme will provide you with the following benefits:
- Enhanced ability to think creatively and innovatively about your approach to your research and its wider impact
- Increased understanding of the impact of policy and other broader influences on your research and how you can impact on these through your research
- Enhanced understanding of your own personal impact and effectiveness, and how to use your skills to further your career aspirations
- Increased visibility amongst a range of connected, thought provoking and influential people, including senior research and policy leaders in the GW4 institutions and beyond
- Opportunity to start building collaborations across disciplines and institutions.
You are eligible to apply for GW4 Crucible 2020 if you are:
- The holder of a PhD (or equivalent) and see yourself at the cusp of research independence
- Employed at one of the GW4 universities for the duration of the GW4 Crucible programme (until June 2020)
- Able to commit to attending the three residential, 2-day workshops (it is a requirement of the Crucible programme to attend all labs in full and to stay away overnight at the venues as shown below):
- Lab 1 – 29/30 January 2020, Padbrook Park Hotel, Exeter
- Lab 2 – 10/11 March 2020, New House Country Hotel, Cardiff
- Lab 3 – 29/30 April 2020, Bailbrook House Hotel, Bath
The deadline for expressions of interest is Monday 11th November 2019 at 9am. The final deadline for completed applications is midday on Friday 22nd November 2019.
Find out more and request a GW4 Crucible 2020 application form