Ewch i’r prif gynnwys

Bringing your family

Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

Find out what you'll need to do in order to bring your family with you for a few days or a few years.

If they're helping you move to Cardiff

If your family members will be accompanying you to Cardiff for a few days to help you settle into your new life, it is very likely that they will need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa before they leave home.

The GOV.UK website will help you to determine whether your family need to obtain a visitor visa before they travel to the UK. It also contains guidance on the type of visa they might need.

If you'd like them to live with you

Before making the decision about whether to bring your family (commonly referred to as "dependants") to Cardiff, you'll need to consider the Immigration Rules – which includes looking at your financial position – and how your family will adapt to life in the UK.

UK Visas and Immigration only allow your dependants to obtain visas to come and live with you in the UK. A dependant is your partner/husband/wife and any children under 18.

They can stay with you in the UK if you are:

  • government-sponsored and your course is over six months long or
  • doing a postgraduate level course of nine months or longer.

You must make your preparations well in advance. It is particularly important that you ensure that your finances are arranged and that you have organised suitable accommodation for you and your family.

To apply for a dependant visa, your family member must each complete an online application form. Each dependant must pay a fee, which is the equivalent of £348, in local currency.

To find out more, please see GOV.UK's guidance on family visas or UKCISA's advice on dependants.