Book your test
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
You can reserve a place on an IELTS test either online, by post or in person.
If you are under 18, you will need your parent or guardian to book the test for you.
IELTS is not recommended for under 16s.
Before you book
- Check that you are applying for the appropriate test for your requirements. We cannot accept responsibility for applications made in error.
- Check availability of the test dates. We advise that you submit your completed application as early as possible before the test date.
- Read the information for candidates (PDF) booklet and the candidate identity verification document (PDF).
Changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELTS)
There have been important changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELTS) for visa purposes.
These changes do not affect people from the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland and 'majority English speaking countries' as defined by the UK Home Office.
To find out more, please read our guidance (PDF) before applying for a test.
To get started, please enter your details online at the British Council website. Once you have completed this, you'll then need to email us the following documents within 24 hours to secure your place:
- Scanned copy of your passport or national identity card (EU citizens only).
- Payment of £180 for tests from January 2020. Please complete the IELTS payment form. Cardiff University can only accept payment by credit/debit card.
Minor test takers
If you're under 18 at the time of taking the test, then you'll also need to include an informed consent form.
IELTS is not recommend for under-16s.
To apply by post or in person, you will need to download and complete the application form (PDF) and attach:
- A clear copy of your passport or national identity card (EU citizens only).
- Payment of £180 for tests from January 2020. Please email the test centre (email@example.com) for details on how to make your payment.
Minor test takers (under 18)
If you are under 18 years old, please include an informed consent form (PDF) which has been completed by your parent/guardian.
Post your application or deliver by hand to our office. Find out our office opening times.
IELTS Test Centre
Deri House, 2-4 Park Grove
Cancellation or transfer
Cancellations and transfers can be requested either:
- within 14 days of your test being booked, or
- more than 5 weeks before your test date.
You will only receive a full refund or free transfer if you cancel within 14 days of making your payment and more than 14 days before your test.
You will receive a partial refund (£135) if you cancel more than 5 weeks before your test date and it is more than 14 days since you made payment. You will also receive a partial refund if you cancel within 14 days of making your payment and within 14 days of your test. Alternatively, you will pay a £45 fee to transfer your test date.
Please note that cancellations or transfers cannot be made within 24 hours of your test date.
Transfers and cancellations requested for medical reasons are exempt from these deadlines if medical evidence is provided within 5 working days of your test date.
To request a test cancellation or transfer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need a modified version of the test – for example, a test created in Braille – you must give us three months notice. If you need us to make special administrative arrangements – such as extra time – you must give six weeks notice.
To find out more, please contact us.