Sustainable and inclusive media innovation
Media Cymru is a collaboration to accelerate growth in Cardiff Capital Region’s (CCR) media sector, making it a global hub for innovation.
Cardiff Capital Region (CCR) is one of the best performing media clusters in the UK – the third largest after London and Manchester - with one in eight of all new UK jobs in film and TV created in the CCR.
Building on these successful foundations, Media Cymru will drive inclusive and sustainable economic development by addressing future skills needs, increasing job opportunities and creating more innovative companies.
Media Cymru’s aims
- To make the CCR a global hub for media production and innovation, building international recognition and audiences.
- To encourage industry collaboration on research and development (R&D) projects, increase businesses capacity for innovation and create new products, services or experiences ready for market.
- To drive inclusive, sustainable economic growth in the Welsh media sector, providing an additional £236 million in gross value added (GVA) by 2026 and producing hundreds of jobs and more innovative firms.
Media Cymru work packages
In order to achieve these goals, Media Cymru has three main strands of activity:
Future Production and Digital Infrastructure
Building a digital infrastructure, developing emerging technologies and spaces for creative innovation.
Addressing future skills needs and enabling research and development (R&D) to create new products, services or experiences ready for market.
Challenge-driven Innovation Projects
Collaboration with partners to provide solutions to challenges and opportunities in sustainability, bilingual production, diversity and inclusion, tourism and technology.
Opportunities for the sector
Media Cymru will provide research, development and innovation (R,D&I) opportunities to businesses operating in the Cardiff Capital Region and beyond.
Funding, training and taster opportunities will be available from November 2022. Please visit media.cymru for more information.
Media Cymru is funded through £22m from UK Research and Innovation’s (UKRI) flagship Strength in Places Fund, £3m from Cardiff Capital Region, £2m from Welsh Government, through Creative Wales, and £23m match funding from industry and university partners.
Partner organisations from across the Cardiff Capital Region make up the Media Cymru Consortium and are responsible for leading projects in the work packages mentioned above.
- Universities: Cardiff University, University of South Wales, Cardiff Metropolitan University (PDR)
- Development Agencies: Ffilm Cymru Wales
- Media and technology companies: Boom Cymru, Wales Interactive, Rondo Media, Unquiet Media, Nimble Productions, Rescape Innovation, Cardiff Productions, Gorilla TV, Dragon Post (Wales), Alacrity Foundation, Object Matrix, Seren Virtual Production, TownSq
- Local leadership: Welsh Government, Cardiff Council, Cardiff Capital Region
- Broadcasters: BBC Cymru Wales, Channel 4, S4C
For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org