Our Fairtrade status
In June 2007 we were awarded Fairtrade status by the Fairtrade Foundation, a charity committed to giving disadvantaged producers in the developing world a better deal for their products.
Cardiff University and the Students' Union are committed to supporting, promoting and using Fairtrade goods.
To achieve this, we will take actions to maintain Fairtrade status, as defined by the Fairtrade Foundation, and commit ourselves to the five goals laid down by the Foundation, through the following actions:
- Fairtrade foods will be made available for sale in all campus shops and used in all cafés/ restaurants/ bars on campus. Where this is not possible, there is a commitment to begin to use Fairtrade foods in these establishments as soon as it becomes possible to do so.
- Fairtrade foods (for example, coffee and tea) will be served at all meetings hosted by the university and the Students’ Union. In addition, unofficial meetings are encouraged to use Fairtrade foods wherever possible.
- The process of achieving and maintaining Fairtrade status will be co-ordinated by a Fairtrade Taskforce that will include representatives from the University, the Students’ Union and students. This group will oversee the ongoing implementation of an action plan to maintain the Fairtrade status for the University.
- The Fairtrade Taskforce will organise the publicity for Fairtrade fortnight and other promotions of Fairtrade products on an ongoing basis to ensure awareness-raising is maintained.
- The Fairtrade Taskforce will send a yearly report on 'Fairtrade in the University/Students’ Union' to Student Council and University Board to be forwarded to the Fairtrade Foundation in fulfilment of the requirement for achieving Fairtrade status.