The BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT, administers the ECDL in the UK, and provides a range of ways to achieve this internationally recognised qualification.
ECDL is designed for anyone who has never had formal tuition in the use of IT, offering an introduction to the fundamentals of secure and effective computer use. As you progress through the qualification you will build an understanding of everyday office-based software as you study the ECDL units:
- IT user fundamentals
- using email and the internet
- security for IT users
- spreadsheet software
- presentations software
- database software
This core-level qualification is widely accepted by employers as proof of IT ability and competence.
Through online training materials and practice, or diagnostic, tests we offer two versions of the ECDL qualification to help you improve your understanding of computers and software efficiency at your own pace.
ECDL Core - covers topics across the seven unit areas indicated above.
Flexible ECDL - allows some flexibility in choice of topics around a defined set of core topics which includes an improving productivity unit aimed at testing both knowledge and use of word-processing, spreadsheet or presentation applications.
Our package includes invigilated tests, using specific testing software, which allows you to receive immediate feedback on your results. We also offer resit tests in the event of failure.
Please note: our package requires you to use a computer with Microsoft Windows and the relevant version of Microsoft Office installed and Internet Explorer to do the diagnostic tests and when using the online learning materials.
Please note VAT will be added to amounts invoiced by the University.
- ECDL registration and seven tests (one per module) - £265
- resits - for module tests failed in complete package (each) - £25
If you already have an ECDL registration, you can pay for any tests at our testing centre. You can register with us for ECDL and pay for tests as you take them:
- registration with BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT - £60
- ECDL module tests (each) - £35
- resits - for any module test taken, and failed, at our testing centre (each) - £25
Microsoft Office Specialist, MOS
Microsoft offers a range of individual certification tests designed to prove your ability in the specific use of their Office applications. MOS tests are internationally recognised qualifications.
MOS will test your knowledge to an in-depth level and should therefore not be seen as an alternative to ECDL but as an additional (higher) level of certification and is suitable for:
- anyone who has already completed their ECDL and, through practical experience, has developed their use of Microsoft Office applications
- anyone who uses Microsoft Office applications as part of their everyday work and wants proof of their ability
Individual qualifications for Microsoft Word and Excel can be taken at two different levels, Core and Expert. The other applications test a broad knowledge and are regarded as general qualifications.
Individual qualifications, Word and Excel at Expert level, along with PowerPoint and either Access or Outlook, can be combined to create a master qualification consisting of a pass in each of four different applications.
Passing the test for a specific application allows you to demonstrate that you possess the necessary product knowledge to efficiently make use of the features that particular application provides.
In the online tests, which take the form of a task-based computer simulation, you will be required to work through a series of specific scenarios and perform the task outlined within an allocated time.
Please note that VAT will be added to amounts invoiced by the University.
- Microsoft Office Word exam - £75
- Microsoft Office Excel exam - £75
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint exam - £75
- Microsoft Office Access exam - £75
- Microsoft Office Outlook exam - £75
- Microsoft Office specialist master qualification (combination of four qualifying exams) - £250
To book onto a course, please send your contact information and details of the course you would like to take to: