Skip to main content

Current students

This information is for EU, EEA and Swiss students currently studying at Cardiff University.

The guidance will be reviewed regularly and updated as appropriate. You are advised to check this page regularly for further updates.

Tuition fee funding

If you are a current EU student, you will continue to be able to access funding under existing eligibility criteria.

Immigration status

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020, on the basis of an agreement made between the UK and the EU known as the Withdrawal Agreement . The UK has negotiated separate agreements with the EEA EFTA states (Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein) and Switzerland.

The UK government has given effect to these agreements in UK law by enacting the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020.

The Act includes an agreement on citizens' rights during a transitional/ implementation period immediately after the UK leaves the EU. This transitional period is currently expected to last until 31 December 2020. During this period EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their relevant family members can come to, or remain in, the UK on the same basis as before Brexit. This means that “free movement” continues and students and their family members can continue to exercise their residency rights in the UK during this time.

However, if you are in the UK currently and intend to stay beyond 31 December 2020 you will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. This scheme is currently free and offers EU, non EU EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members living in the UK before the end of the transition period the ability to protect their residence in the UK after the transition period has ended.

This scheme is not only for those whose intention is to settle in the UK past the end of their course. Although it can lead to settlement it can also be used as immigration permission.  With permission under this scheme there will be no restrictions on study.

Those who have a documented right of permanent residence under EU law will need to apply under the scheme before the end of the transition period (or under another category of the Immigration Rules), as the right of permanent residence is an EU right which will no longer be recognised after the transition period. Those with a document confirming permanent residence can apply and if successful will be granted 'settled status'.

Official UK government information about the EU Settlement Scheme.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has produced useful guidance about the EU Settlement Scheme and the application process specifically for students.

Interruption of study

If you are a EU student on an interruption of study, or planning an interruption of study that will extend your course to beyond 31 December 2020, then you should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you have left the UK, those who then re-enter the UK before 31 December 2020 will have until 30 June 2021 with which to make the application.

Those who re-enter the country after 31 December, and have not applied to the Settlement Scheme, will need to have immigration permission through the new Immigration rules as they will be from January 2021. These have not yet been published.

Visa requirements for attending graduation

You and/or your family will not require visas to attend your graduation ceremony if it takes place before 31 December 2020. During this transition period, free movement continues and EU students and any non-UK EU family members wishing to visit the UK are able to do so without any immigration permission.

From 2021 the UK’s new Immigration Rules will apply but these have not yet been finalised.

Exam resits

If you need to resit an exam this academic year and are classed as an external student you are able to remain in the country, or re-enter the country, in order to resit your exam as we remain within the transition period.

If you need to resit an exam in academic year 2020/21 and you leave the country and then subsequently re-enter before 31 December, you will not need any immigration permission as we remain within the transition period.  You will have the option of applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you need to resit an exam post 31 December 2020 and you re-enter the UK past this date you will need to either have already applied to the EU Settlement Scheme or will need to have applied for another immigration permission under the new Immigration Rules, which have not yet been released.

EU migrant worker funding

If you are a current non-UK EU student who is being assessed by Student Finance as a non-UK EU migrant worker, then we believe that you will continue to be able to access funding under existing eligibility criteria.  We will update you as soon as we have further information.

Working in the UK after graduation

New immigration rules will be implemented in 2021 which will set out the requirements you need to meet to work in the UK from that date onwards. The Government has not yet published these rules.


If you have any questions, please contact us for further advice.

International Student Support enquiries