Call for 2019 proposals
Vertical Studio proposals are invited from teaching and research staff, external architects, architectural practitioners, designers, artists, researchers and built environment professionals.
Submission deadline for proposals is Friday 25 January 2019.
The Vertical Studio is intended to broaden students’ experience in research and design. A wide range of options are being sought, drawn from research, practice and other interests, to reflect the expertise and enthusiasm of the Welsh School of Architecture (WSA) community.
The deadline for proposal submissions is Friday 25 January 2019.
Vertical Studio will open on Monday 25 March and close on Friday 12 April 2019.
The learning outcomes are intentionally broad and require students to:
- engage critically with an aspect of research in the field of architectural studies and to understand this in relation to a wider context
- demonstrate an understanding of architecture as an integrated discipline that engages with a broad range of research approaches
- represent and communicate the results of their work in appropriate forms.
The outputs of Vertical Studio are intended to be broad and diverse, including but not limited to 1:1 built prototype, explorative use of design tools and deep understanding of collaborative design strategies. Proposals are welcome within and outside of the specific field of architectural design (ie research does not have to involve a design project).
Outputs will need to be recorded in a form that can be presented back to the other units which may take the form of a video, website, sketch book or portfolio. It will not be possible to exhibit large installations in the Bute Building.
The following criteria will be considered when selecting proposals:
- involvement of discovery, experiment and investigation
- links to research and/or practice within and outside of the WSA
- feasibility of the proposal in terms of time management and practicality (including health and safety)
- consideration of costs outside the teaching budget e.g. materials, travelling, workshops, etc (commercial sponsorship may be appropriate)
- alternative approaches to ‘regular’ architectural design studio teaching
- space and resource requirements.
Units typically consist of a mix of 12-15 students from years 1 and 2. We will require approximately 17 to 20 units for our students. A unit is typically run by one person (teaching payments from WSA are calculated on this basis), though historically we have had very successful units run by teams. Collaboration can also take place between WSA staff and external tutors.
It is expected that unit leaders meet their students on at least four occasions during Vertical Studio. A minimum of one scheduled day of teaching per week will be required, plus one day for briefing and another for debriefing/reviews and feedback. Unit leaders cannot charge for preparation time.
Outline proposals should be submitted on maximum 2 sides of A4 sheet, including abstract and images, along with a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 January 2019.
For each submission a resource schedule should also be completed. We hope to be able to confirm the successful proposals by early February 2019, with the unit selection by students taking place in mid-February. Successful units will be asked to submit more detailed information about resources, risk assessment and other relevant information immediately after confirmation of unit.
International units will be released to the students for voting week commencing 4 February 2019 (via email).
For all other units, presentations will be made to the students on week commencing 11 February 2019 (date to be confirmed).
All unit leaders will need to attend the session to present their unit proposal.
Get in touch
Please contact the Vertical Studio team if you have any questions.