Location: John Percival Building
Everyday Welshness in Migrant Communities: A Geographic Comparison
Geraint obtained my BA (Hons) in Geography at The University of Liverpool in 2009 and then moved on to The University of Edinburgh where he completed an MSc in Nationalism Studies in 2010. In October 2011 Geraint began a PhD at Cardiff University in the School of Welsh funded through the Presidents Research Scholarship and the City and County of Swansea. He is part of the Re-constructing Multiculturalism Network here at Cardiff University and has also created his own postgraduate information sharing and event hosting network, dealing with issues of cultural diversity, equality, identity and multi and interculturalism. The Network is called the Connecting Interculturalism Cymru Network. For more information find them on Facebook. Geraint has also contributed to Radio and Television debates on racism and multiculturalism here in Wales.
His research explores how ethnic minorities are adding new voices to conceptions of what national identity can be in Wales. This will highlight how the scale of the national is made meaningful by minority communities in particular spaces, and the possibility this presents for creating a more pluralist perspective of nationhood. It will do so by looking specifically at how sub-national identity challenges primary national narratives, to deepen our understanding of the complex relationships between multi-ethnic communities and the performance of national identity in the re-imagining of contemporary ideas of nationhood.
More broadly Geraint's research interests include
- Geographies of Nationhood
- Nation building
- Identity and Everyday life
- Multi and Inter-culturalism
- Cifuentes, R. Whittaker, G. R. & Lake, L. (2013) “The Think Project: An Approach to addressing racism and far-right extremism in Swansea, South Wales", Democracy and Security
- Whittaker, G. R. (Forthcoming) Developing a plural Nation? Black and Minority Ethnic Participation in the 2011 Welsh Referendum, Ethnicities
- Whittaker, G. (2013) (Forthcoming) “Mobility, Place and the National Eisteddfod”, Tu Chwith
- Whittaker, G. (2011) “Through the Dragons Eye, Wales and its nationhood”, Lluc: Revista de Cultura i d'Idees, núm. 876, Information Available at (http://www.tribuna.cat/llibres-i-revistes//geraint-rhys-whittaker-travessant-lull-del-drac-la-nacio-gallesa-05-05-2011.html)