Tuition fees for 2018 entry
Fee information for UK, EU and international students for 2018/19.
Tuition fees are payable to Cardiff University for each year of your course (including repeat years).
The annual fee covers all tuition fees, essential course costs, registration and examinations other than the re-taking of examinations by applicants not currently registered. Charges for accommodation in University residences are additional.
Funding may be available towards the cost of your tuition fees. Visit our funding pages for more information.
|Student type||2018/19 fee|
|Full-time UK undergraduate||£9,000|
|Full-time EU undergraduate||£9,000|
|Students on ERASMUS or study year abroad||£1,350|
|Students on work/industrial placement year||£1,800|
|Students on the work-based learning year of the BSc/MArch in Architecture||50% of the full-time fee|
|Healthcare programmes / NHS funded programmes||Find out more|
|Modern Chinese (BA)||See note below|
Fees after year one
The University reserves the right to increase tuition fees in the second and subsequent years of a course as permitted by law or Welsh Government policy.
Where applicable we will notify you of any change in tuition fee by the end of June in the academic year before the one in which the fee will increase.
Modern Chinese (BA)
Unlike our typical year abroad programmes, this unique opportunity to gain a dual degree from Cardiff University and Beijing Normal University (BNU), is supported by means of a bursary. Typically, tuition at BNU costs around £4,500 per annum, however both Beijing Normal University and Cardiff University are providing a bursary for all students accepted onto this programme in the form of partial tuition fee contributions for Years 2 and 3. Students will therefore only be required to cover the standard Cardiff University year abroad fees for these two years.
Fees for students from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man vary depending on the subject.
|Band 1: Arts/humanities or classroom-based students||£9,000|
|Band 2: Science/engineering or laboratory/studio-based students||£10,500|
|Band 3: Clinical undergraduate courses||£24,675|
|Students on Erasmus year abroad||15% of the full-time fee|
Your tuition fee will depend on the course you have chosen, the duration and level of study.
Our international undergraduate tuition fees are fixed for the majority of courses which are three years in duration. This means the price you pay in year one will be the same in years two and three, making it easier to plan and budget for your time with us.
This is subject to the following conditions:
- repeat years: if you need to repeat an academic year, the tuition fee will continue on the same fixed rate as the previous year
- advanced progression: if you join a programme in year two or three, the tuition fee rate will be based on the fee rate for your year of entry – not the year the programme started
- 4-year courses (including those with a placement year): where courses run for longer than three years, any additional years of study will be charged with a fee increase that will be no more than the RPIX measure of inflation plus 2%. The RPIX rate will be taken from April preceding the commencement of the year of study. It is equivalent to the Retail Price Index but excludes mortgage interest payments.
- Dental and Medical clinical fees: during the pre-clinical element of Dental and Medical courses the fee rate will be fixed, after which the clinical fee rate will be charged. For details of how the clinical fee rate is calculated please see the Dental and Medical fee section below.
- interruption of study: if you take an interruption of study then your fee rate will remain the same when you return to your studies.
Dental and Medical fees
During the pre-clinical element of Dental and Medical courses the fee rate will be fixed. The pre-clinical fee for 2018 entry is £19,950. This applies to the following years of study:
- MBBCH, years 1-2
- MBBCH with a preliminary year, years 1-3
- MBBCH Medicine (4 year graduate entry), year 1
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery, year 1
After this the clinical fee rate will be charged. The clinical fee rate will be set in the year prior to entry and with an annual increase that will be no more than the RPIX measure of inflation plus 2%. The RPIX rate will be taken from April preceding the commencement of the year of study. Once set the clinical fee rate will be fixed for the duration of the clinical fee period.
This means, for a student that enters the programme in 2018 the clinical fee rate that may apply to their study from 2019/20 to 2021/22 would be set as follows:
|Year||Clinical fee rate|
|2019/20||£36,308 based on an assumed RPIX (1% for illustration purposes) plus 2% in April 2019*|
|2020/21||£37,397 based on an assumed RPIX(1% for illustration purposes) plus 2% in April 2020*|
|2021/22||£37,397 as the fee is fixed on the year of entry to the Clinical element*|
|2022/23||£37,397 as the fee is fixed on the year of entry to the Clinical element*|
*Please note these figures are for illustration purposes only.
Confirmation of fees
If you are offered a place on an undergraduate programme, you will be notified of the fee for your programme of study prior to your arrival at the University.
Tuition fee status is determined by the University during the processing of applications, and we are therefore unable to confirm this in advance. If you are unsure as to your fee status, you may find it helpful to refer to guidance offered by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).