Materials and energy
Each year the School of Chemistry welcomes applicants who have secured funding from external sponsors, or who are self-funded.
We have an extensive list of projects that are available. Details for each project can be obtained by contacting the member of academic staff directly. Please state which project(s) you would like to be considered for on your application form.
- Development and application of new strategies for crystal structure determination from powder X-ray diffraction data.
- Understanding fundamentals of crystallization processes by in-situ solid-state NMR.
- Polymorphism in molecular materials.
- Fundamentals and applications of X-ray Birefringence Imaging – a new experimental technique that represents the X-ray analogue of the polarizing optical microscope.
- Nano-confined fluid behaviour in Metal-Organic Frameworks.
- Controlled guest diffusion in MOF materials.
- Photoswitching crystalline porous materials.
- Crystal Structure Prediction.
- Materials for Energy Storage.
- Physicochemical characterisation of macromolecules in solution.
- Polymer mediated drug-delivery systems
- Computational models describing the formation and sintering on supported nanoparticles
- On-demand design of nanostructures
- Sustainable energy (CO2 reduction, nuclear materials, biomass conversion)
- Modelling biomaterials (bone/tooth mineral, collagen, bioactive glasses)
For programme structure, entry requirements and how to apply, visit the Chemistry programme.View programme