NERC Doctoral Training Partnership
A total of 190 fully-funded postgraduate research studentships in Earth and Environmental Science will be available across the GW4+ Doctoral Training Partnership over five years with the first students having joined the partnership in October 2014.
The focus of this 3.5 year PhD programme is the simultaneous delivery of research excellence, multidisciplinary and employability.
The GW4+ DTP is one of 15 NERC Doctoral Training Partnerships and the largest of its kind in the UK. The core partnership includes:
- University of Bristol
- University of Exeter
- University of Bath
- Cardiff University
- British Antarctic Survey (BAS)
- British Geological Survey (BGS)
- Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH)
- Met Office
- Natural History Museum (NHM)
- Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML).
It also brings together a consortium of over 30 research, industrial and third-sector organisations to provide a range of innovative training, research and development opportunities. The DTP aims for a minimum of 30 per cent of students to work with non-academic partners, providing valuable industry experience for entering a wide range of environmental careers.
Available projects come under one of the three Research Themes that cover the breadth of NERC Earth and Environmental Science:
- Solid Earth: Solid Earth and Planetary Geology; Natural Hazards; and Resources
- Living World: Ecology, Conservation and Biodiversity; Genomes and Evolution; and Biogeochemical Cycles
- Changing Planet: Atmospheres, Oceans and Ice; Climate Change and Impacts; and Water
The application process for these fully-funded PhD studentships commences at the start of October each year, for entry in late September the following academic year
NERC Centre for Doctoral Training in Oil and Gas
We are also a partner institution in the NERC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Oil and Gas.
NERC projects currently advertised
At Cardiff University, the following NERC projects are currently available: