Postgraduate loans for master's study

If you are a prospective master’s student from the UK and starting your master’s degree in September 2017 or later, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate loan of up to £10,280 for your degree at Cardiff University. EU, EEA and Swiss nationals may also be eligible.

Welsh postgraduate loans

The information regarding Welsh postgraduate loans is correct to the best of our knowledge as details are still being confirmed.

On 8 February 2017, the Welsh Government announced that they will be introducing a postgraduate loan scheme for students ordinarily resident in Wales for the academic year 2017/18 subject to appropriate legislation being made. EU, EEA and Swiss nationals may also be eligible for the Welsh postgraduate loan.

The full details of the Welsh postgraduate loans are expected to be released in spring with applications to the loans opening in summer 2017, subject to appropriate legislation being developed and approved. It is anticipated that the Welsh postgraduate loans will be similar to the English postgraduate loans, and consist of a loan of up to £10,280.

Sign up to our newsletter to receive information about the loans as they become available and other important information via email.

Postgraduate loans for English residents

Key facts

  • Up to £10,280, non-means-tested and paid directly to you into a UK bank account
  • Available for postgraduate master’s degrees across all subject areas, including MSc, MA, MBA, MPH, MTh, LLM, MPhil and MRes in all subject areas, but not available for the Master in Architecture (MArch), Postgraduate Diplomas (PgDip) and Postgraduate Certificates (PgCert).
  • Available for full-time, part-time and distance learning programmes
  • A full-time programme can be one or two years long
  • A part-time programme can last up to four years with the following restrictions: up to two years for the equivalent of a one year full-time course, up to four years for the equivalent of a two year full-time course, or a three year part-time course with no equivalent full-time course.


  • You must be a UK national (or an individual with settled status in the UK) and have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years on the first day of the first academic year of the course.
  • You must have a permanent home address in England, but you can have been elsewhere for temporary absences, such as for travelling and education, including for the purpose of completing an undergraduate degree.
  • You must be aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of the course.
  • You would not be eligible if you already possess a master’s or doctoral degree or another higher level degree, this includes integrated master’s degrees such as MEng, MChem and MPharm and even qualifications achieved outside the UK but does not include Postgraduate Diplomas and Postgraduate Certificates.
  • EU students are eligible to study a distance learning master’s degree at Cardiff University as long as they are a permanent resident in England.

How to apply

Detailed information and guidance on how to apply to the English postgraduate loans is available on the website.

Further details on the English postgraduate loans are available on the official Student Finance England maintained web page on The Student Room and on the website.

Postgraduate loans in Scotland

The Scottish Government has confirmed plans to introduce postgraduate loans for the 2017/18 academic year. This new support with loans available of up to £10,000 will be available to Scottish-resident postgraduates at universities in Scotland. Other UK universities may be included where courses aren't offered in Scotland.

More information is available on the Student Awards Agency Scotland website.

Postgraduate loans in Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland has confirmed the introduction of postgraduate loans for the 2017/18 academic year. Whilst the exact details are yet to be finalised, it is anticipated that Northern Irish residents are able to borrow up to £5,500 towards the cost of a master’s degree, Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma at any UK university.

More information is available on the nidirect government services website.