We host an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) and are partners in several Centres for Doctoral Training (CDT).
The EPSRC is the main UK government agency for funding research and training in engineering and the physical sciences – from mathematics to materials science, and from information technology to structural engineering.
EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership
Our EPSRC DTP offers fully-funded PhD studentships in a variety of projects, across 7 Academic Schools and 2 interdisciplinary Research Institutes.
The DTP is offering 39 PhD funded studentships across, including 2 CASE Awards, with intakes in 2016/17 and 2017/18. Students will benefit from an excellent local research environment as well as a comprehensive programme of research and professional skills development.
Our objective is to train the next generation of research leaders, innovators and entrepreneurs in the physical sciences and engineering, by:
- equipping students with advanced research skills, supported by expert supervision, a well-funded infrastructure and dynamic research culture
- supporting them to communicate their research through seminars, external conferences and networking
- fostering interdisciplinary research through groupings of engineering, physical, chemical, biological, medical and social scientists
- offering a comprehensive programme of professional and career development opportunities
- hosting cohort activities that encourage interactions of doctoral students across disciplines
- engendering a commitment to research excellence and impact, and explorations of new ways of thinking.
PhD projects are available across a range of topics that align with Cardiff’s research strengths and EPSRC's priorities. Projects will be rooted in an academic school but may work at the interfaces with other disciplines, be connected to an interdisciplinary Research Institute, and involve collaborations with other scientific researchers, industrial partners and other organisations.
Specific projects will vary by year; they will be available in the following areas:
- Engineering: Environment and Sustainability; Mechanics, Materials and Advanced Manufacturing; Energy; and Health, Technology and the Digital World.
- Chemistry: Biological Chemistry; Catalysis and Interfacial Science; Materials and Energy; Molecular Synthesis; Spectroscopy and Dynamics.
- Physics and Astronomy: Photonics and Biophotonics (with colleagues in Biosciences); Quantum Materials and Devices; Nanoscale Science and Technology; Theory and Computational Physics; an Imaging, Sensors and Instrumentation.
- Computer Science and Informatics: Complex Systems; Data and Knowledge Engineering; and Visual Computing
- Mathematics: Mathematical Analysis; Applied and Computational Mathematics; Geometry, Algebra, Mathematical Physics and Topology; Operational Research; and Statistics.
- Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre (CUBRIC): which brings together world-leading expertise in brain mapping with the very latest in brain imaging and brain stimulation, and connects biomedical researchers with engineers, physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists.
- Data Innovation Research Institute: launched in 2015, the Institute researches aspects of managing, analysing and interpreting massive volumes of textual and numerical information.
- Energy Systems Research Institute: launched in 2015, the Institute researches sustainable, affordable, socially acceptable and secure energy systems, to tackle global challenges in how we generate, distribute and utilise energy.
EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training
We are involved in three EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training:
- We are the lead partner in the CDT in Catalysis, addressing some of society’s biggest challenges through catalysis: clean energy generation, environmental clean-up of air and water and sustainable manufacture. This interdisciplinary programme in collaboration with the universities of Bath and Bristol, offers postgraduate training in Catalysis and Reaction Engineering.
- Water Informatics: Science and Engineering CDT.
- Diamond Science and Technology CDT.
At Cardiff University, the following EPSRC studentships are currently available:
|EPSRC WISE CDT PhD in Water Management||31 January 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Chemistry||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Psychology||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Mathematics||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Biosciences||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Physics and Astronomy||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Computer Science and Informatics||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Engineering - Energy and Environment||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Engineering - Mechanics, Materials and Advanced Manufacturing||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership PhD in Engineering - Health, Technology and the Digital World||1 February 2017|
|EPSRC-funded PhD in Chemistry: Exploring Mechanochemistry as an Enabling Technology for Organic Synthesis||31 August 2017|