We host an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) and are partners in several Centres for Doctoral Training (CDT).
The EPSRC is the main UK government agency for funding research and training in engineering and the physical sciences – from mathematics to materials science, and from information technology to structural engineering.
EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership
Our EPSRC DTP offers fully-funded PhD studentships in a variety of projects, across 7 Academic Schools and 2 interdisciplinary Research Institutes.
The DTP is offering 39 PhD funded studentships across, including 2 CASE Awards, with intakes in 2016/17 and 2017/18. Students will benefit from an excellent local research environment as well as a comprehensive programme of research and professional skills development.
Our objective is to train the next generation of research leaders, innovators and entrepreneurs in the physical sciences and engineering, by:
- equipping students with advanced research skills, supported by expert supervision, a well-funded infrastructure and dynamic research culture
- supporting them to communicate their research through seminars, external conferences and networking
- fostering interdisciplinary research through groupings of engineering, physical, chemical, biological, medical and social scientists
- offering a comprehensive programme of professional and career development opportunities
- hosting cohort activities that encourage interactions of doctoral students across disciplines
- engendering a commitment to research excellence and impact, and explorations of new ways of thinking.
PhD projects are available across a range of topics that align with Cardiff’s research strengths and EPSRC's priorities. Projects will be rooted in an academic school but may work at the interfaces with other disciplines, be connected to an interdisciplinary Research Institute, and involve collaborations with other scientific researchers, industrial partners and other organisations.
Specific projects will vary by year; they will be available in the following areas:
- Engineering: Environment and Sustainability; Mechanics, Materials & Advanced Manufacturing; Energy; and Health, Technology & the Digital World.
- Chemistry: Biological Chemistry; Catalysis & Interfacial Science; Materials & Energy; Molecular Synthesis; Spectroscopy & Dynamics.
- Physics and Astronomy: Photonics & Biophotonics (with colleagues in Biosciences); Quantum Materials & Devices; Nanoscale Science & Technology; Theory & Computational Physics; an Imaging, Sensors & Instrumentation.
- Computer Science and Informatics: Distributed & Scientific Computing; Informatics; and Visual Computing
- Mathematics: Mathematical Analysis; Applied & Computational Mathematics; Geometry, Algebra, Mathematical Physics & Topology; Operational Research; and Statistics.
- Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre (CUBRIC): which brings together world-leading expertise in brain mapping with the very latest in brain imaging and brain stimulation, and connects biomedical researchers with engineers, physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists.
- Data Innovation Research Institute: launched in 2015, the Institute researches aspects of managing, analysing and interpreting massive volumes of textual and numerical information.
- Energy Systems Research Institute: launched in 2015, the Institute researches sustainable, affordable, socially acceptable and secure energy systems, to tackle global challenges in how we generate, distribute and utilise energy.
EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training
We are involved in three EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training:
- We are the lead partner in the CDT in Catalysis, addressing some of society’s biggest challenges through catalysis: clean energy generation, environmental clean-up of air and water and sustainable manufacture. This interdisciplinary programme in collaboration with the universities of Bath and Bristol, offers postgraduate training in Catalysis and Reaction Engineering.
- Water Informatics: Science and Engineering CDT.
- Diamond Science and Technology CDT.
At Cardiff University, the following EPSRC studentships are currently available:
|EPSRC-funded PhD in Condensed Matter Physics (Diamond)||15/06/2016|
|EPSRC-funded PhD in Engineering (EPSRC DTP)||03/06/2016|