If you are an overseas postgraduate applicant and your first language is not English, then you must have a proven level of English to study on our courses.

We accept a variety of English language qualifications for entry. We have minimum admission requirements but for some courses our admissions tutors may ask for higher grades. Search our course list to find out the English requirement for the course you are interested in.

Recognised qualifications

English tests or examinations must have been taken no more than two years before the proposed date of entry to the University.

Where the English tests or equivalent qualifications were taken more than two years before the proposed date of entry, you must be able to demonstrate that you have maintained or improved your English language competence. You may also be required to provide an up-to-date test result.

In some cases, you may be made an offer to attend a pre-sessional English course instead of, or in addition to, an English language qualification.

Accepted test results

We accept the following tests for entry onto our postgraduate courses:

QualificationMinimum score
GCSE/GCE 'O' level English languageC
IELTS (Academic) test from any IELTS test centre
(IELTS Life Skills test is not accepted)
(with at least 5.5 in each sub-score)
IGCSE level English languageC
Cambridge Proficiency (CPE)C (185 from January 2015)
Cambridge Advanced (CAE)C (176 from January 2015)
Pearson Test of English – Academic (PTE – A)62
Trinity ISE IIIPass in all four components
International Baccalaureate Diploma
(English language at HL or SL)
Grade 5

Note: IGCSE English can be accepted as if syllabus 0552 or 0511 have been studied. Syllabus 0500 or 0510 may also be accepted – please contact us for more information.

If you have studied or worked through the medium of English

If you have studied or worked through the medium of English, then you may not be required to sit a formal test. We would need to see evidence, such as a reference letter, which confirms your language ability.

Academic qualifications taught in English

An academic qualification taught solely in English, which can be demonstrated to be at an equivalent or higher level than the standard undergraduate and postgraduate requirements may, in certain circumstances, be used to satisfy the University’s language competency requirement

Employer reference

Under some circumstances an employer’s reference may be used to satisfy the University’s language competence requirement.

Employer English language referee report form

Employer English language referee report form

23 February 2016

This form should be completed by your employer to provide information about your English language competency.


If you don’t meet the requirements

Courses are available if you don't meet the English language requirements.

Find out more about our English Language and Foundation Programmes.