Private sector

external student houses

The Residences Office produces lists of accommodation available in the Private Sector.

This is a free service to Cardiff University students and therefore students are not required to pay a finders fee/administration charge for properties found via the lists. The lists are updated weekly, on a Friday, and are available throughout the year.

Property lists

  • If you are a current Cardiff University student you can access the Private Sector Listings using your University login and password.
  • If you are a prospective student you can request a list by emailing and quoting your name and student number.

The lists are also available to collect from the Residences Office at Southgate House (Talybont North) or Cardiff University Students' Union Advice and Representation Centre (opposite Main Building).

Are the properties inspected?

The properties are not inspected by the Residences Office. However, landlords must support the following schemes and provide evidence of the related documentation (if applicable) to be included on the lists:

If the property has its heating/hot water produced by gas or any gas appliances of any nature installed, the landlord must hold a current, valid Gas Safety Certificate. The certificate must be clearly identified as having been issued by a Gas Safe registered company/dealer/installer.

Find out more about Gas Safety Certificates.

The landlord must hold a current, valid Electrical Installation Certificate or Periodic Inspection Report on the property by a NICEIC or ECA registered electrician.

Find out more about Electrical Installation Certificates/Periodic Inspection Reports.

Under article 7 of The European Directive on the Energy Performance of Buildings (EPBD), any building that is sold, rented out or constructed must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). This must be issued by a qualified and accredited assessor in an independent manner.

Find out more about Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs).

The Residences Office is continually trying to improve our service to students. We therefore support Rent Smart Wales Wales in its aim of raising standards in the private rented sector by ensuring that only registered and licenced landlords are included in our listings. The scheme works by licensing the landlord, not the property, therefore identifying the participants as competent and professional in their dealings with their properties and tenants and with the skills necessary to run a successful business. Note: Until November 2016 we will also be listing properties owned by landlords who are accredited under the Landlord Accreditation Scheme, which was in operation before the Rent Smart scheme was introduced.

Find out more from Rent Smart Wales.

If a landlord takes a deposit from you, by law, it is compulsory for them to have registered as part of a Deposit Protection Scheme. These schemes deal with problems over the return of rental bonds. It ensures that rental bonds are returned promptly at the end of the tenancy where there is no dispute.

Find out more about the Deposit Protection Scheme.

If you choose to live in a house where there are 5+ tenants and 3+ floors, by law, the landlord must have an HMO certificate issued by the local Council. The listings show if this type of property has an HMO certificate.

Find out more about Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

Additional licensing in Cathays and Plasnewydd

Additional Licensing has been introduced to tackle some of the problems associated with the high number of HMO’s in the Cathays and Plasnewydd areas. This will help to improve the management of these properties, create consistent standards and have a significant impact on street scene issues such as rubbish. If the property falls within the catchment area for these schemes, the landlord is required to provide their licence or an Acknowledgment of receipt of Licence Application.

Find out more about additional licensing in Cathays and Plasnewydd.

Can anyone give me further advice?