The information on this page is provided for the convenience of students seeking accommodation in the private sector. Inclusion of a landlord/letting agency on this page does not constitute an endorsement by Cardiff University.

Property lists

The lists are produced according to the number of places available/type of property.

To download a list please click one of the following:

The properties are not inspected by the Residences Office. However, landlords must support the following schemes and provide evidence of the related documentation (if applicable) to be included on the lists:

If the property has its heating/hot water produced by gas or any gas appliances of any nature installed, the landlord must hold a current, valid Gas Safety Certificate. The certificate must be clearly identified as having been issued by a Gas Safe registered company/dealer/installer.

Find out more about Gas Safety Certificates.

The landlord must hold a current, valid Electrical Installation Certificate or Periodic Inspection Report on the property by a NICEIC or ECA registered electrician.

Find out more about Electrical Installation Certificates/Periodic Inspection Reports.

Under article 7 of The European Directive on the Energy Performance of Buildings (EPBD), any building that is sold, rented out or constructed must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). This must be issued by a qualified and accredited assessor in an independent manner.

Find out more about Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs).

The Residences Office is continually trying to improve our service to students. We therefore support Rent Smart  Wales in its aim of raising standards in the private rented sector by ensuring that only registered and licenced landlords are included in our listings. The scheme works by licensing the landlord, not the property, therefore identifying the participants as competent and professional in their dealings with their properties and tenants and with the skills necessary to run a successful business.

Find out more from Rent Smart Wales.

If a landlord takes a deposit from you, by law, it is compulsory for them to have registered as part of a Deposit Protection Scheme. These schemes deal with problems over the return of rental bonds. It ensures that rental bonds are returned promptly at the end of the tenancy where there is no dispute.

Find out more about the Deposit Protection Scheme.

If you choose to live in a house where there are 5+ tenants and 3+ floors, by law, the landlord must have an HMO certificate issued by the local Council. The listings show if this type of property has an HMO certificate.

Find out more about Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

Additional Licensing has been introduced to tackle some of the problems associated with the high number of HMO’s in the Cathays and Plasnewydd areas. This will help to improve the management of these properties, create consistent standards and have a significant impact on street scene issues such as rubbish. If the property falls within the catchment area for these schemes, the landlord is required to provide their licence or an Acknowledgment of receipt of Licence Application.

Find out more about additional licensing in Cathays and Plasnewydd.

General notes

Neither the University nor anyone on its behalf:

  • has inspected the properties listed herein or
  • will accept any responsibility or liability howsoever arising from any loss or damage sustained by anyone who takes up residence in any of them or for the accuracy of information given about any of them or
  • controls or manages or shall control or manage any of the properties or is or shall at any time be the agent of the landlord in relation to any of them.

Gas and Electrical Safety Certificates are current at the time of printing.