Undergraduates: How to book
There are a variety of residences for you to choose from, depending on your lifestyle and budget. You may find it useful to consider the following factors when deciding on your living space:
- self-catered/meals provided
- availability of ensuite shower/toilet facilities
- residences fee
- how close it is to your academic building, the city centre, or your choice of social or sports facilities
- the availability of residences during the summer vacation (all of the University residences allow you to stay during Christmas and Easter vacations).
When applying online, you will be able to detail your order of preference for the residences available. We will make every effort to ensure that you get into one of your preferred choices, but if this isn’t possible, we will offer you an alternative residence based on availability.
It is our policy to house students in mixed flats in terms of age, gender and nationality/race wherever possible, including study bedrooms on the ground floor. If you would prefer to live in a male only or female only flat, please let us know in your online application.
Check our residential periods page for the exact dates.
You can apply for a place in University residences after you have a firm offer to study.
You will need your SIMS username and password, which will be sent to you by email after you have been made an offer to study (this process starts in February).
To ensure you are guaranteed a single occupancy place in University residences you must:
- Submit your online application by
- Firm students - Thursday 9 August 2018
- Full session Exchange/Erasmus students - 16:00 Thursday 9 August 2018
- Insurance students - Friday 31 August 2018
- Receive/accept an unconditional offer to study by Friday 31 August 2018
Please note: If your online application is received after the deadline or you receive/accept an unconditional offer to study after Friday 31 August 2018, we will do our best to accommodate you and your application will be processed on a first come first served basis.
Due to the embargo periods for both Scottish and A’Level results, UCAS applicants will not be able to access the Cardiff Student Portal from:
- 18:00 Monday 30 July to 09:00 Tuesday 7 August, the Cardiff Student Portal will be available sometime in the afternoon on Tuesday 7 August
- 14:00 Friday 10 August to 06:00 Thursday 16 August, however the Cardiff Student Portal is planned to be closed from the afternoon of Thursday 9 August to the morning of Thursday 16 August.
Please note: if you will be living in Liberty House the following does not apply and you will receive further information directly from Liberty Living. You should reply to this information as directed.
In late July/August/September, you will receive an email telling you that your application has been processed and asking you to view and accept your Offer of Residence online.
You must accept your online Offer of Residence within 7 days or your offer will expire and the room will be allocated to another student. Therefore it is important for you to check your email account during this period.
Please note some email providers may treat the email as spam, so please check your spam/junk mail folder as well as your inbox.
Your online Offer of Residence consists of the following information:
- Residences Agreement
- Residential Terms & Conditions
- Arrival Information
- Paying for Residences Guidelines
Once you have accepted your Offer of Residence, your room will be reserved for you and you will receive an email confirming this.
You will be offered a place for a set period and once you accept your Offer of Residence, you become liable for the fees and associated charges for the residential period stated on your Residences Agreement.
If you have not been made an Offer of Residence prior to your arrival in Cardiff, temporary hotel accommodation may be available (during a limited period in September/October), for which a nominal charge will be made. As a guide, the charge for session 2017/2018 was £15 per night.
To finally guarantee your place in University residences, you must arrive and collect your room key within the dates/times specified in the Arrival Information.
Please note: If you are unable to arrive within the specified dates, your Offer of Residence will be withdrawn and your room allocated to another student. We will no longer be able to guarantee you a place in University residences and you will need to contact the Residences Office when your travel date is confirmed to check room availability.